Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2020, 07:26 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

[QUOTE=spitfire;1844751]Jem, just saying, you are probably to old for an Encounter, so, will probably never know.[/QUOTE
Too true Spitty.
However, my older brother used to do the Liffey swim many years ago, it is an annual event in Dublin, the Liffey is filthy at the town centre as all the sewage flows in just before it reaches the sea. When he got home he told me that as he was doing the Australian crawl with his mouth wide open a stool approach him, he quickly turned his head and closed his mouth.
“So you had a close encounter of the turd kind, eh bro?”

That video reminded me of when I worked piece work on the thousands of cast silver Tara Brooches, you get into a rhythm and after a couple of weeks you actually can do it with your eyes closed, what I think happens is that as they are all identical pieces the brain is programmed to record all the movements of the hands, so when the eyes are closed for a while the brain can “see” the object in front of you.
All those workers seemed to be enjoying their work, that’s half the battle as they say, they may be be paid buttons but their cost of living is much much lower that ours, folks never think about that in their calculations.

I’m reminded of this old song me mother used to sing to us as kids.
It could easily be mistaken for a video of our own Oldgreyfox on his last visit to Ireland.
Have a good look at yerman’s legs Foxy and eat your heart out.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 10:02 PM

Some recent statistics from our census taken in 2016 have been published and I was very surprised to see we have more women here than men, as I said to the missus when I read it “It’s a pity it wasn’t like that when I was single, I could have been a bit more choosey” (she has a good sense of humour thank God)
Our population has increased to almost 5 million, still a long way to go to what it was before the great famine in 1845 when we had 8 million.

“As the world marks International Women's Day, the Central Statistics Office (CSO) has released some interesting numbers.
It says Census 2016 showed Ireland had 2,407,437 females - an increase of 91,884 or 4.0% on the previous census in 2011.
In April 2016, the overall sex ratio of 97.8 males for every 100 females meant 53,009 more females than males in the State.

There were 30,617 more women than men in the Dublin region - the largest difference being in Dublin city.

Marriage and divorce
According to Census 2016, there were 1,236,634 single women (of all ages) out there, an increase of 3.0% on 2011.
There were also 148,617 widowed women, which was more than the number of ladies who were separated (66,563) and divorced (60,563) combined.
The number of divorcees also increased 18% since the previous census.
Women were more likely to be married than single by the age of 33, while for men this happened at age 35.
The peak age for separated or divorced* persons was 53 years in 2016, compared with 48 years in 2011.
Women were also more likely to be widowed than married by the age of 79, compared with age 76 in 2011.
Education
In general, women were better educated than men in April 2016.
In all, 43.2% of women aged 15 and over had a third level qualification, compared with 40.7% of males.
Among those aged 25 to 39, women tended to stay in education longer than men.
Average wage for workers is €23.7 per hour. Ireland now has full employment”

There you go lads, if your looking for a smart well educated woman Dublin is the place to be, but God help yeh, you’ll be kept on yer toes all the time, for there’s no fooling them smart well educated women.

Oh to be 21 and single again, and know what I know now.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 11:00 PM

Good as it was, there is no interest in secondary Stab.

Lets just see where it goes.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

22-01-2020, 10:55 PM

I used to love Goldie Hawn in films, I hadn’t seen her on screen for a long time until the other night, there she was on ITV4 in the 2017 film “Snatched”, I didn’t recognise her! she obviously had plastic surgery done and it changed her completely, and not for the better, why can’t they just leave things alone and grow old naturally.

Well here’s a bit of surgery that had a happy ending.

I knew a woman who was a plumber, she was very masculine for a woman and was more comfortable in the company of men, born in the wrong body as they say. I knew her through my brother in law who was also a plumber, we have no difficulty laying our hands on plumbers when the need arises, and all plumbers know electricians so they are no problem finding, and all electricians know plasterers….and so on, it’s not what you know in these trades it’s who you know and who they know, if you know what I mean, but I’m getting carried away from the story as usual.
Anyway as soon as she had enough saved for the transformation operation to become a man complete with male tackle she was having a pint with us old lads in the local and she was looking very worried about the coming operation. I jokingly told her everything would work out alright and she’ll be a new man when it’s over.
She said her surgeon was from Austria and has done hundreds of these operations right across Europe, she had to travel to Austria for the job to be done.
A few months later he that was a she came into the pub and we were all stunned, there stood a fine handsome 36 year old smiling happy man in a navy blue suit, short hair and black moustache.
I asked him how things went over in Austria
“Well Jem, it was a very delicate operation as you can imagine and I’m pleased to say he was able to make a complete balls of it”
It took me a while to get his meaning, but he was one happy fella who gave the impression he was going to be happy ever after. I was so pleased for him, haven’t seen him since but I believe he went to California to join his American Dad there.

Who can remember this old song?

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

23-01-2020, 10:28 PM

Watched ‘The Ghost and Mrs Muir’ on you-tube last night, it was quite a few years since I saw it last and I enjoyed it. George Saunders, Mister suave himself, the typical toff in most of his films, was in it.
Sometimes I like to look up the lives of actors after watching a film they appeared in, I was dumbfounded to discover he was not even an Englishman, he was in fact a Russian, born in St Petersburg in 1906 and moved to England just before the revolution. He was 65 when he popped himself in 1972.
“Sanders suffered from dementia, worsened by waning health, and visibly teetered in his last films, owing to a loss of balance. According to Aherne's biography, he also had a minor stroke. Sanders could not bear the prospect of losing his health or needing help to carry out everyday tasks, and became deeply depressed. At about this time he found that he could no longer play his grand piano, so he dragged it outside and smashed it with an axe. His last girlfriend persuaded him to sell his beloved house in Majorca, Spain, which he later bitterly regretted. From then on he drifted.[21]
On 23 April 1972, Sanders checked into a hotel in Castelldefels, a coastal town near Barcelona. He was found dead two days later, having gone into cardiac arrest after swallowing the contents of five bottles of the barbiturate Nembutal.[22][23] He left behind three suicide notes, one of which read:
Dear World, I am leaving because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool. Good luck”
Wikipedia.

Did you know that Sidney James was a South African, and Richard Todd was born in Dublin. That was news to me, great what one can learn on the internet these days.

solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 01:03 PM

Battling a hearty cold and a cough the churchyard would be proud to own..given the chance. It's keeping me awake and most of the neighbourhood. Not funny though as these generic antibiotics just dont seem to do the trick like the good old brand name ones did....so will catch up when feeling a bit more wiv it so to speak .

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

24-01-2020, 08:41 PM

I’m sorry to hear you’re not the best Solo, not to worry Spring is on the way and hopefully all these bugs will disappear, although January hadn’t been as bad this year as it normally is, having said that we’ll probably have snow in March like we had here two years ago.

Looking at an old documentary type film last night made in 1933 all about a police department in New York that dealt exclusively with missing persons and it was based on real cases, like the actress trying to get into the newspapers who went “missing” for two weeks on the advice of her publicity agent, she was to be “found” just two nights before a play she was in opened on Broadway, free publicity at the expense of the public, I was surprised to see she wasn’t prosecuted for wasting police time.
But the one about the kidnapper who kidnapped the son of a wealthy diamond importer and then sent 5 carrier pigeons in a basket to the father was quite unique.
He was told to attach twenty half a carat diamonds to each of the pigeons legs (in diamond packets naturally) and set the birds free if he wanted his son back safe. I thought that was very clever because the stones were not too big to fence off and not too small to be too cheap.
The police chief had a brainwave and called in the airforce to have a plane follow the birds. The film then went on to something else so I didn’t get to find out the end result, but it begs the question, can a plane follow a bird? that seems a bit daft to me, what about the speed difference and clouds obscuring vision? Interesting little problem is it not.
Spitty’s good at problems, what would you do Spitty, remember this is in 1933 so there were no homing devices nor any hi tech stuff like that about.
I will not accept following the pigeons in a big balloon as an answer.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 11:48 PM

You know I don't do Hi Tech, so Maize is the answer, this result is offered for Chicken Feed.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

25-01-2020, 07:45 AM

Great answer Spitty, you never cease to a maize me.

As for the chicken, why did it cross the road, to get to the road island, it was a Rhode Island Red. Who says us townies don’t know our chickens.

I think you deserve a badge for that answer.
God be with the days when we got a little tin plastic coated badge when we were good or did something right or bought a packet of Bisto or even a comic, comics regularly gave out free badges. The 50’s was the golden age of badges for kids I had loads on them stuck on me monkey jacket.
Of course there were the adult badges, lawmen would flash their badges and a sheriff had one shaped like a star, not forgetting the season badges for the races.

I’m up early today, 6am, an ungodly hour, I never knew there were two 6 o’clocks in the one day until now.
We’re off to Wexford for the wife’s brother’s golden wedding anniversary, they’re having a big do, see you on Monday, take care.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

25-01-2020, 11:07 PM

A Big Do, is that like a Duck Do?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top