Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2011, 06:09 PM

Re: Energy Bills/switched power suppliers.

on eno age uk tarrif, it is suppoosed to be cheap, but don't really know if it is, havn't had a winter bill yet
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2011, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by seaspirit ->
I am with age concern and my both bills are together £50 odd a month, but don't know if that will be right this time next year

That is a brilliant deal, Seaspirit. How does one go about getting onto a tariff like that?

I was with E-on and they ripped me off grandstyle, so I went over to Scottish Power, who promised me a better deal, which it is, but I'm still paying through the nose.

I'd be very interested on finding out how you go about this please.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2011, 04:02 PM

I requested a switch from Scottish Power to Npower (to a fixed tariff until July 2012 ) on 23rd June, I am still waiting to switch At this rate the years fixed tariff will have expired, I don't know why it should take so long ....
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Or by some miracle they reduce their prices (that's a laugh!) in that time, we would be the losers.....
That's the dilemma Mags - do I or don't I go for the new deal?
We did a while back and we were lucky and we are on a Fixed Deal now, which has also worked in our favour thankfully.
As someone else has already said, the chances of the ombudsman doing anything at all are pretty remote; having dealt with them before I found them to be pretty useless so I contacted the government minister in charge and, although I did get some pretty positive responses back then, nothing changed and the MP pushing for the same things that I was seemed to lose interest once he'd made a name for himself!
I'm going to do some in-depth research and then make a decision but I won't be switching because BG seem to be a lot more understanding with us since our tussle with them and the ombudsman three years ago - that goodwill's worth cultivating and maintaining in my opinion. stevmk2
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2011, 02:46 PM

We have finally decided to switch and will be with Co-op Energy from tomorrow.
Thus far all seems to be going well - they rang for a meter reading today.
Their calculation was that they would save us nearly £140 pa for dual-fuel, plus there will be £20+ pa 'divi'. I'd rather my fuel payments make some contribution to 'community', with the Co-op, than to shareholders and big business
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

02-09-2011, 12:03 AM

Did anyone see the BBC watchdog programme tonight.?
There was a piece on the scandal that is the price fixing cartel operated by the big six energy companies.

They then had Christine McGourty, Energy UK's Director in the studio who incidentally is an old BBC reporter.

The woman clearly had no idea what she was talking about. Ms Robinson had golden chance to nail her to the floor on the way the companies are frankly extorting money from us.

Did she take that opportunity? NO. What a waste of space she and that programme have become. We need a new consumer champion with some bite.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
Did anyone see the BBC watchdog programme tonight.?
There was a piece on the scandal that is the price fixing cartel operated by the big six energy companies.

They then had Christine McGourty, Energy UK's Director in the studio who incidentally is an old BBC reporter.

The woman clearly had no idea what she was talking about. Ms Robinson had golden chance to nail her to the floor on the way the companies are frankly extorting money from us.

Did she take that opportunity? NO. What a waste of space she and that programme have become. We need a new consumer champion with some bite.
Yes Hammer I caught that part of the programme. It just confirmed what many of us know already , the energy companies are making huge profits and when prices go up they 'go up with the speed of a rocket and come down with the speed of a feather '.

I don't like Watchdog, for the most part I find it repetitive and patronising. I would rather have a hard hitting, factual programme without all the silliness.
Nuttygran
Northumberland, UK.
Nuttygran is female  Nuttygran has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2011, 11:56 AM

I use online comparison sites and switch if I think I might save. I have duel fuel & pay monthly by direct debit.

I do agree with Meg that the whole privatised utilities business is a farce. In fact as customers we are between a rock & a hard place. I have wondered if a cartel is operating but how could it be proved?
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

02-09-2011, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't like Watchdog, for the most part I find it repetitive and patronising. I would rather have a hard hitting, factual programme without all the silliness.
Like so much of the BBC, they have simply lost the plot.
I agree about Watchdog, the rogue traders part is nonsensical for most of it and any decent expose is lost in the banal.
I used to like Panorama, especially the undercover work they did in hospitals and care homes.
Sadly a lot of the good stuff they produced has been negated by programmes that have been discredited.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

02-09-2011, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
Like so much of the BBC, they have simply lost the plot.
I agree about Watchdog, the rogue traders part is nonsensical for most of it and any decent expose is lost in the banal.
I used to like Panorama, especially the undercover work they did in hospitals and care homes.
Sadly a lot of the good stuff they produced has been negated by programmes that have been discredited.
It appears they feel they have to try to provide 'entertainment' aimed at the lowest common denominator and they seem to have forgotten that part of the remit of the BBC was to educate and inform...

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top