Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 12:38 AM

State of Emergancy (again!)

The wind is picking up it was 30° at 8.30am this morning and now (10.30am) it is 38° heading toward 40°+. My lawn is less than verdant.

The Premier has just declared a state of emergency for the whole of NSW for the next 7 days. This is the second state of emergency in the last month.

There are about 100 fires burning in NSW and about half are not controlled.

https://www.smh.com.au/environment/w...19-p53ld1.html

https://www.smh.com.au/environment/w...18-p53l8x.html

Even where the lawn gets run off from the carport it is still pretty dry.

On the bright side it doesn't need mowing.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	191217 001 Lawn and Drought.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	11253   Click image for larger version

Name:	191217 004 Lawn and Drought.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	11254  
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 01:06 AM

Re: State of Emergancy (again!)

Your lawn looks like the grounds of Versailles Palace compared to mine mate. Out back I just have dirt and tufts of weed. Can't stand looking at it. Can't do anything about it. Probably dig it all up and put pebbles down. The smoke is really bad again here. (Gosford) How is it down your way?
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 01:14 AM

We're starting to worry about our Aussie mates here. Those bushfires are awe inspiring! Wish we could send you some of the flood water we've been having! Ironic isn't it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Your lawn looks like the grounds of Versailles Palace compared to mine mate. Out back I just have dirt and tufts of weed. Can't stand looking at it. Can't do anything about it. Probably dig it all up and put pebbles down. The smoke is really bad again here. (Gosford) How is it down your way?
Smoke was bad this morning, it's still around but the (hot) wind has picked up, it is about 43° at the moment with 10% humidity. We are expecting the southerly in the mid afternoon which should cool things down.

Tomorrow should be OK but a repeat performance on Saturday.

Not worried about the grass only takes a few mm of rain and it starts leaping out of the ground again.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 04:04 AM

It's 41 here. Come on the Southerly!.. The Gospers Mountain fire is getting bigger and bigger. BLoody worry I tell ya. Thanks for the thoughts Ciders. Keep em coming.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 07:31 AM

Wishing for rain for you chaps and that the wind drops x
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

19-12-2019, 11:51 AM

Well, we got through today alright where I live.

This was the temperature in the shade on my back patio:

It was taken just after 2pm when the cool change started to have an effect but if you look at the little boxes on the left you can see that the maximum temperature was 44.1°C and the humidity was 10% - hence the high fire danger.

Just as a matter of interest you might like to see these three screen shots from my phone of the Currowan fire

On the left is the fire on the 2nd December, the middle is the fire on the 5th December and finally, today on the extreme right. The scale is approximately the same and it just shows how these fires grow like Topsy. Only rain will put it out.

According to the News today 40 homes were lost in the Blue Mountains today - so far this summer over 800 homes have been destroyed in NSW (we are 20 days into summer)

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-12-19 14.19.12.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	11256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Currowan Fire.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	11257  
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 12:03 PM

Stay safe over there.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

19-12-2019, 12:23 PM

I forgot to mention that three firefighters were airlifted to hospital today

Two male firefighters, aged 36 and 56, were airlifted to hospital where they would be intubated after suffering face and airway burns, as well as burns to their arms, elbow, upper chest and leg.

A third person, a 28-year-old female from the same crew was taken by road ambulance to hospital suffering some minor burns and smoke inhalation.

"This particular crew, a crew of five, were overrun by fire. Enveloped by fire," Commissioner Fitzsimmons said.

Remember all these people in the Rural Fire Service fighting the fires in NSW are volunteers giving up their time to keep us safe. They deserve a medal.

https://www.smh.com.au/environment/w...19-p53lmx.html
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 06:21 PM

I saw some news clips tonight of what appear to be extinction
rebellion youngsters demonstrating in Sydney l assume due to
the smoke, complaining about government action, or inaction during
the current bush fire situaion?
Might l suggest that these protesters would be better employed
by joining the fire fighters in actually putting the fires out, instead
of clogging the streets up by lying around in them?
Maybe a dose of National Service would be a useful addition to
their education?
Regards Donkeyman!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top