Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2013, 12:57 PM

What to Do with Doggy Poo

What to Do with Doggy Poo when you are out and about with your dog?

Never thought your dog's poo could do so much damage, did you?

Canine waste contains lots of nasty bacteria such as, faecal streptococcus, E,coli, campylobacter,salmonella,et al.

Dog poo also contains disease-transmitting organisms such as roundworms. These parasites can cause their human victims to lose their vision temporarily, as well as trigger coughs and fevers.

The quickest, easiest way to get rid of a dog's poo is to put it in a plastic bag and either drop the bag in a trash can or flush the bag's contents down a toilet.

Some local authorities provide special bins for this purpose.

Most people in our immediate area do pick it up and dispose of it carefully.

We have no public footpaths in our road and sometimes the dog walkers do not clean away the poo from the grassy areas in front of the houses.

That is one reason that people remove their shoes when visiting.

If you step on dog poo wearing trainers or shoes with ridged soles no amount of cleaning on a house mat will remove all the dog poo.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2013, 01:24 PM

Re: What to Do with Doggy Poo

I have always trained our dogs from puppies not to go on hard surfaces like pavements or paths and they have always been pretty predictable about when they eliminate (once first thing in the morning and once late afternoon, so I know when they are likely to want to go). It depends on where we are, but I usually pick it up in a bag (which goes over my hand) and if there is a bin anywhere nearby in it goes, no problem. Usually though they have already been before we go away from home and they generally go in the same spot each morning in the back field and I pick it up and bin it. If we are in a more remote place in the country and I know it won't be trodden in, I usually kick it under a hedge. It is far better to let it degrade without plastic than to put it into a plastic bag and then chuck it away in the countryside. I hate to see poo bags festooned all over the trees and bushes. What do you think foxes and cats do with their poo? Foxes don't bury it and it is far more unpleasant to tread in than dog poo. Cats always poo in the soft flowerbeds and don't always cover it up well. It's pretty unpleasant when you are weeding and find cat poo on your hands - even with gloves on.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2013, 01:38 PM

We never walk our dogs anywhere public apart from the woodland, and even there we always clean up after them if they poop anywhere that could be a problem to others. In my experience most responsible folks do the same. As ever it's the irresponsible that give us all a bad name...
spinner
yorkshire
spinner is female  spinner has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2013, 05:06 PM

Isn't it a shame that you can't compost dog poo, and use it safely in the garden?
All those plastic bags of dog poo in land fill, its horrible (even makes me feel sorry for the unsuspecting sea-gulls)
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2013, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by spinner ->
Isn't it a shame that you can't compost dog poo, and use it safely in the garden?
All those plastic bags of dog poo in land fill, its horrible (even makes me feel sorry for the unsuspecting sea-gulls)
I think the same could be said for the disposable babies nappies that people put into the bin spinner - there will be a lot more of them going into the landfill sites and it's just as horrible to think about. Maybe incineration is the best idea, but I am not sure if Councils are geared up for it.
spinner
yorkshire
spinner is female  spinner has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2013, 10:41 PM

Yes, all that baby poo in absorbent plastic is also rather horrible to contemplate. Maybe if the 'containers' could be made to be bio-degradable, then they, plus their amazingly organic fillers, could bio-degrade without the need of incinerators...
either that or teach dogs to use flush toilets
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2013, 11:43 PM

Hmm dog poo, interesting subject A friend of mine once bought a dog loo which was sunk into in the garden and you just put the dog poo in it together with an activator which broke it down. I've just been looking online to see what's available and its quite cheap so I think I will get one as I sooo hate the idea of all those hundreds of thousands of doggy poo bags in landfill staying there for ever

I currently use biodegradable poo bags whilst out walking in public places and nappy biodegradable ones to clear up from the garden
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2013, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by spinner ->
It's organic so you can compost it.

In those far off days when I owned a dog I had a small plastic bin with a lid and no bottom which I used to bury to the lid in the garden and all the dogs poo went in that. When it was nearly full I just pulled the bin out of the ground leaving the partly decomposed poo behind, dug a fresh hole for the bin and used the soil to cover the previous hole. Worked well.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2013, 11:57 AM

The field where I go to feed the gulls everyday in Winter has the dog dustbins and signs all over telling dog owners to clean up after their dogs. This is done by most of the dog walkers and the bin gets very full. Just lately, two people have started walking their dogs and do not pick up the mess and leave it there. I can tell by the colour and size of the poo its the same dog everyday. Unfortunately, I dont know which dog it is as I walk nearly a mile to get there. Shame that not everyone picks up the mess and even the threat of a £1,000 fine doesnt deter them.
I have cats but I have to clean their mess up everyday as they have a cat tray. They wont go outside to do it. Costs alot in cat litter but I do feel responsible for them so will take that.
spinner
yorkshire

10-02-2013, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
It's organic so you can compost it.

In those far off days when I owned a dog I had a small plastic bin with a lid and no bottom which I used to bury to the lid in the garden and all the dogs poo went in that. When it was nearly full I just pulled the bin out of the ground leaving the partly decomposed poo behind, dug a fresh hole for the bin and used the soil to cover the previous hole. Worked well.
I would have to have a very large garden to do this!
(dog compost would have to be a very long way away from any part of the garden I grew stuff in!)
And would it be organic? dog food has all sorts of weird stuff in it.
I mean, if beef burgers are horse meat, heaven only knows what Pedigree chum is!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top