Join for free
Page 11 of 20 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2017, 11:24 PM

Re: General Election 2017: The Result

Originally Posted by Azz ->
I disagree - the younger generation are more savvy.

Also worth bearing in mind that traditionally, younger people are generally left on the political spectrum - more optimistic. (I think there have actually been studies done on this.)
not sure I agree with either. Younger people are more idealistic, but that doesn't always mean labour. Savoire faire does not necessarily lead to informed decisions about politics. Trendy isn't a long term investment.

In my experience young people are more right wing and become more left wing later as they expand their horizons. Studies have proved a link between politics and brain type (left. right or mixed thinking brains). There are some theories about left and right wing politics vs intelligence, but let's not go there....In this election the labour party had populist policies geared towards younger voters. At the same time the tories alienated older voters. If Corbyn wasn't quite so extreme they would definitely have won.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 12:13 AM

I think this article covers one such study:

Study shows young adults consistently more left wing

SASKATOON – Political parties may have to shift to the left to capture the votes of young adults. That’s one of the findings of a new report authored by Saskatoon political studies professor David McGrane.

“I think the lesson in it is if indeed young people do vote at the same rate as older people, it could radically transform politics in this country,” McGrane told Global News.
http://globalnews.ca/news/1914097/st...ore-left-wing/
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 06:51 AM

I disagree - the younger generation are more savvy.

Also worth bearing in mind that traditionally, younger people are generally left on the political spectrum - more optimistic. (I think there have actually been studies done on this.)
And I disagree with that Azz. The young have little experience of politics, are frequently looking to get something for nothing and will frequently fall the way that social media pushes them!

I believe that Corbyn did better research on how to win votes, so he was already on a winner, because many young people were searching to take revenge over the Brexit referendum.

For those who get their university degrees and work hard to earn a good salary, they will soon learn that a Tory vote does more for them. For those, who don't do well with their free university education, they will stick with Labour for the better benefits system.

When will they learn that you can't get everything for nothing, because the government will not always be able to provide it until the national debt is considerably reduced!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 07:30 AM

Hi

The election has left us with a few problems.

Trump is saying we must get a move on , time is ticking away.

Corbyn and Co are adamant no Hard Brexit, so threat of just walking away is no longer an option.

No hard Brexit means customs union or single market, still ruled by ECJ and free movement, so Immigration will not be down at all from the EU.

t also means we will have to pay the Brexit Bill they are asking for.

The very worst of all scenarios.

The DUP are insisting on no Border in Ireland as well.

Interesting times.

Nothing we can do about it, the die is cast.

Such is life.

On the home front, we will now see if May is going to up the ante in the fight against terrorism.

Contrary to what May has been saying publicly, she is still cutting Budgets.

http://www.publicfinance.co.uk/news/...nit-drop-ps32m

She is going to have to find some more money from somewhere.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 07:32 AM

I think this article covers one such study:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1914097/st...ore-left-wing/
Perhaps the internet is now a factor or austerity bites back, because that study is contradicted by this longer term study of the views of young people in the UK ('85-2012) by Sheffield University :

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7557351.html

The UK study does acknowledge that millennials may be different (and were not surveyed - yet). Times they are a'changin...?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 07:36 AM

I think we are all doomed swim I can't see a way forward at all, the election outcome will just make Brexit negotiations impossible. It's not like me to be doom and gloom but really I can't see any solutions right now.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 07:42 AM

Young people voted for more beer in bigger pint pots, nothing to do with right or left, Corbyn promised everything knowing he would not have to deliver.

Which of us would not vote for free university education if we were that age and going to uni? £9000 per year for three years...you bet I would vote not to pay that.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

10-06-2017, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
For those, who don't do well with their free university education, they will stick with Labour for the better benefits system.

When will they learn that you can't get everything for nothing, because the government will not always be able to provide it until the national debt is considerably reduced!
We had everything for nothing. Free University, grants, employers fighting over us whether or not we had a degree, training opportunities, a career (what's that these days?), life of riley.... The young now are saddled with debt if they try to better themselves and end up fighting tooth and nail to get the most junior position or to intern as slaves. Then they are told work till you die and no pension... no wonder.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

10-06-2017, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Young people voted for more beer in bigger pint pots, nothing to do with right or left, Corbyn promised everything knowing he would not have to deliver.

Which of us would not vote for free university education if we were that age and going to uni? £9000 per year for three years...you bet I would vote not to pay that.
I don't think they were bothered about anything he promised as much as the free education. Apparently the majority of these loans are never going to be paid off.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I think we are all doomed swim I can't see a way forward at all, the election outcome will just make Brexit negotiations impossible. It's not like me to be doom and gloom but really I can't see any solutions right now.
Hi

I always look on the bright side summer.

It means I can still go on my wine runs to Calais and the cheap vodka and tobacco will still be available.

Page 11 of 20 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top