Join for free
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2017, 12:25 AM

Re: Grenfell Tower

So you'd have no objection to them being moved up the road from you?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2017, 12:43 AM

Absolutely not why should I ?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2017, 12:55 AM

That's great because the council can offer to rehouse you in a small flat with no windows in London if you give up your house to the Grenfell homeless.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2017, 06:23 AM

Annie could you please rewrite your post in language that is understandable
At the moment it reads like complete nonsense .
Either that or you have been hitting the Christmas sherry
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2017, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Annie could you please rewrite your post in language that is understandable
At the moment it reads like complete nonsense .
Either that or you have been hitting the Christmas sherry
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

18-12-2017, 10:22 AM

Fact is Muddy that there is no way I can believe you'd be happy to have the people concerned move up the road from you. One of the reasons people are crammed in high rise blocks in London is because they can't get planning permission from suitable areas outside inner cities due to local NIMBY objection.

If you were in the same position there is also no way that you'd accept something less than the accommodation you currently have. Particularly if the accommodation offered was not fire safe, which has been the case for some.

Easy to judge. Many here don't even see these people as human just because they come from a different country.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2017, 10:52 AM

I take from the comments here that the ex residents have been offered sub standard new homes?,but they in general wish to stay in the district.
Very difficult to find new homes that are acceptable to them in the same district then. So sadly there has to be some compromise. Some will have to start new lives in another District, that is of course if another local authority will have them!!!. It is also a sad reflection on any local Authority that people are worried if they accept just anywhere , even on a temporary basis that they will then be stuck there.
These people need someone that will fight for their rights and not be fobbed off with false promises .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

18-12-2017, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Fact is Muddy that there is no way I can believe you'd be happy to have the people concerned move up the road from you. One of the reasons people are crammed in high rise blocks in London is because they can't get planning permission from suitable areas outside inner cities due to local NIMBY objection.

If you were in the same position there is also no way that you'd accept something less than the accommodation you currently have. Particularly if the accommodation offered was not fire safe, which has been the case for some.

Easy to judge. Many here don't even see these people as human just because they come from a different country.
Quite frankly I don't care what you believe because you have your own set of ingrained beliefs that have no basis in reality .
Having lived overseas all my working life I have no problem with people from overseas in the way that you sanctimoniously imply.
I do have a problem with people who start to pick and choose because we are a humane generous country .

As it happens there is a large building project going on up the road from me and in all the Wiltshire villages around here .
The government has relaxed laws on building and it doesn't matter who objects ( I didn't FYI) they all get permission.

Would I care if a few ex Grenfell people came and lived here ?
No
They would of course it's too far from their community friends jobs etc etc etc
If I were in the same position that I came to a country -as many of the residents have -and were housed by the local authority in one of the most expensive cities in the world in subsidised housing I would shut up and take it. No other place but the Uk would offer this and would put people up in hotels long term . Not everyone indeed most people cannot live in even the outskirts of London much less Kensington .

If you want to live in London unless you are a multi millionaire you have to live in crappy expensive little flats that's the way it is that's life in the city.

My son worked in London ten years ago and paid £500 a month for one room in a roach infested flat in Bethnal Green.
If you don't like it go live somewhere else and make another life as everyone usually has to do in their lives at some point or another..
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2017, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Not everyone indeed most people cannot live in even the outskirts of London much less Kensington .
If you want to live in London unless you are a multi millionaire you have to live in crappy little flats that's the way it is that's life in the city.
If you don't like it go live somewhere else and make another life as everyone usually has to do in their lives at some point or another..
It does seem that the Grenfell people are playing on people's feelings to obtain exactly the sort of council housing that they want.

I'd be interested to know who, exactly, these people are (if anyone knows). Are they refugees or immigrants looking for a better way of life; are any of them illegal immigrants?

Unless they are self sufficient, they should realise that their only entitlement (presumably) is to receive free council housing, and that should be whatever can be obtained for them. They cannot expect to be given expensive, high quality London homes that most of the rest of us couldn't possibly afford.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2017, 12:17 PM

I object to every resident who refuses re-housing.....whether British or foreign, it matters not.

The principles are the same.

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top