Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 09:07 AM

Re: Tiled bathroom.

Originally Posted by carol ->
I'm just wondering if you can hang a mirror and a bathroom cabinet on tiled walls..

Do they look right?
No problem drilling holes in tiles Carol.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
not seen those wet wall types but I do have to query what is used to stick them to the walls Slightest place missed and steam would soon have all that down making a real mess.

As for grouting of which I have done loads of in previous properties we had, never once had alge or mould occur.

What I suspect is originally the grouting was not done properly or worse poor quality grout which is more likely as it can go off if stored for some time first just like plaster.

As long as tiled walls are dried off after a shower and air left to circulate, then one should not have any problems

Only the highest quality of materials and workmanship was used on our new bathroom Realspeed, and despite meticulous drying down following showering, the grouting has discoloured and collected green algae in places. In an attempt to clean the grouting it has eroded it to such a degree that it now needs replacing. I suspect that sunshine is partly to blame as the bathroom is located on the sunny side of the house and the growth of algae requires three things:- Heat, light and moisture.

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Not true here, I'm afraid.

My tiles are always towel dried and the window left open, yet mould still starts if I am not vigilant.
Absolutely Mups, the grouting is the weak link in any tiled surface, and I can guarantee that Realspeeds bathroom will not look as pristine in a few years time, and the older you get the less able you become to do the work yourself. And we can't always afford to employ someone to do it for us....

Those links you posted are exactly the panels I was talking about Mups, thanks for rooting them out I shall bookmark them for future reference. I do wish now that we had got it right the first time.....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 10:01 AM

why do I bother? I wonder sometimes if it is worth the effort of replying
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 02:25 PM

I like your bathrooms realspeed and your choice of tiles.

I notice one of them is only half tiled. Was there a reason for this?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
why do I bother? I wonder sometimes if it is worth the effort of replying
A perfectly reasonable reply to your post that suggested perhaps workmanship or quality of grout was the suspect Realspeed. Most people have tiled or partly tiled bathrooms, and many of those have problems with green algae so I suggested to Carol that tiling isn't always as maintenance free as you think it is....

You also state that:-'As for grouting of which I have done loads of in previous properties we had'

How many of these properties have you revisited to check the grouting?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top