Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 11:24 PM

Re: Canada-style deal

Originally Posted by JBR ->
That would certainly be acceptable, although I assume we would continue to pay the EU and accept free movement for the (possible) seven years time it would take to set up the deal?

That would be unacceptable as far as I'm concerned.

Add to that the situation where services would not be part of the free-trade deal (I am assuming), then a Canada deal would not be to our advantage at all.

I'd rather walk away, trade under WTO rules and make the best of it. I am confident that non-EU countries (and quite possibly some EU countries) would wish to trade with us on a mutually beneficial basis.
Hi

Your assumption is wrong in that we would not continue to pay for 7 years etc, only for the 2 year transition period we have already asked for because we are simply not ready to leave.

I cannot see the logic of your wish to just walk away.

A Canada Deal is the best we can get under WTO Rules, it is what we are seeking from other Countries when we leave.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I thought EU countries could not trade separately from the EU? our non EU trade deals are via the EU. That's why Lagarde said we have 63 trade agreements to sort by 31st march.
I'm sure someone will advise me that I am living in an oversimplified little world(!), but what would happen if we approached each of those 63 countries and asked, quite straightforwardly, "Can we continue to trade with you under the same provisions we had when in the EU?"

Perhaps they'd just say, "Yes"!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Your assumption is wrong in that we would not continue to pay for 7 years etc, only for the 2 year transition period we have already asked for because we are simply not ready to leave.

I cannot see the logic of your wish to just walk away.

A Canada Deal is the best we can get under WTO Rules, it is what we are seeking from other Countries when we leave.
You didn't address my other concern: would we still trade in services under the same provisions?

My feelings are that the EU 'negotiators' would just say, "Not on your nelly."
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 02:25 AM

You didn't address my other concern: would we still trade in services under the same provisions?

My feelings are that the EU 'negotiators' would just say, "Not on your nelly."

Hi

I did, I pointed out that WTO Rules do not cover services.

The only way to continue trade in services exactly the same as we have now is to remain in the Single market.

No EU Country will make a separate agreement with the UK, they negotiate as part of a bloc.

As regards the other Countries we have Free Trade Agreements with, they have not said yes, in fact there are complaints to the WTO about the way we have handled it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 03:49 AM

I'm sure someone will advise me that I am living in an oversimplified little world(!), but what would happen if we approached each of those 63 countries and asked, quite straightforwardly, "Can we continue to trade with you under the same provisions we had when in the EU?"

Perhaps they'd just say, "Yes"!
I'm sure you already know that it's not as simple as that. We won't be in the same position as we are now and it seems to me that the process itself could be like herding 63 cats into a sack.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 07:30 AM

Hi

No more EU Payments, no more free Movement.

It is a standard WTO Trade Deal with a few bells and whistles.

WTO Rules do not include services, which are 80% of our exports to the EU.

A Canada Deal would protect manufacturing jobs.

That's wrong..

Of the £274 billion of exports to the EU less than half are services.

Our economy as a whole is 80% services , exactly the same as every other developed economy in the world

Services include the NHS, High St shops, education, the Fire service, the civil service etc, which is for internal consumption.
Financial services are just 15% of the economy.

You need to know your facts to make sense of the reality of the situation and your facts are completely wrong.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

18-09-2018, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
That's wrong..

Of the £274 billion of exports to the EU less than half are services.

Our economy as a whole is 80% services , exactly the same as every other developed economy in the world

Services include the NHS, High St shops, education, the Fire service, the civil service etc, which is for internal consumption.
Financial services are just 15% of the economy.

You need to know your facts to make sense of the reality of the situation and your facts are completely wrong.
Hi

As you wish.

The figures you use exclude travel, transport and banking.

Source: Office for National Statistics
Notes:
Trade in services excludes travel, transport and banking.

The figures I used include these.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

18-09-2018, 09:08 AM

Hi

I did, I pointed out that WTO Rules do not cover services.

The only way to continue trade in services exactly the same as we have now is to remain in the Single market.

No EU Country will make a separate agreement with the UK, they negotiate as part of a bloc.

As regards the other Countries we have Free Trade Agreements with, they have not said yes, in fact there are complaints to the WTO about the way we have handled it.
Then I hope we leave with no deal. We may as well trade entirely under WTO rules if services are not included.

I have every confidence that we shall not only survive, but flourish.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

18-09-2018, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I'm sure you already know that it's not as simple as that. We won't be in the same position as we are now and it seems to me that the process itself could be like herding 63 cats into a sack.
Why should it not be as simple as that? Reasons?
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 10:39 AM

Hi

As you wish.

The figures you use exclude travel, transport and banking.

Source: Office for National Statistics
Notes:
Trade in services excludes travel, transport and banking.

The figures I used include these.
And yet despite that( although I disagree with you that my figures don't include those services) your figures are still woefully wrong.

Please be honest when quoting percentages and figures to make a point.

Services make up LESS than half of our business with Europe so quoting 80% is disingenuous.
Services of 80% is in relation to our gross economy......
Schoolboy error there Swim, but then I did make the point on a previous thread that this area of our economy is greatly misunderstood.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top