Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 08:16 PM

Re: Kanye West - Rapper changes his name to Ye

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Why doesn't he change his name to egocentric shite and have done with it.
I think Victoria Beckham claimed that one.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I think Victoria Beckham claimed that one.
I think self-obsessed k*** might still be up for grabs
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Sic. Yes, it means as it was written.
Indeed .....

https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...orial-citation

What is denoted by "sic" is that the word or phrase that precedes it occurs in the original passage being quoted or name being used and was not introduced by the writer doing the quoting. Sometimes the quoted text contains an error of grammar or spelling, but other times it might not contain an error at all, but some kind of language or phrasing that might be unexpected.

There are a host of etiquette issues that surround sic. Since it often follows misspellings or nontraditional language use, some commentators see it as a means of needlessly making a value judgment on someone else’s language habits. In Modern English Usage, the grammarian H. W. Fowler wrote that sic “should only be used when doubt [about the intent behind another writer’s words] is natural; but reviewers and controversialists are tempted to pretend that it is; because sic provides them with a neat and compendious form of sneer”. Sometimes it may be better to paraphrase the text and avoid what seems like haughty comment on another writer’s choices.

Alternately, it can help to offer a gentle parenthetical correction or adjustment to what the reader would be more likely to expect.

But let’s face it: sometimes, pedantic condescension is precisely what you’re going for.
I was definitely going for the sneer .....

When someone with bucketfuls of money and a big head makes an obviously simple spelling or grammatical mistake but has not even bothered to have their statement checked and corrected because, naturally, they're always right, then I reserve the right to employ "pedantic condescension" .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
I think self-obsessed k*** might still be up for grabs
I could change my name to Lo or Ogs?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 08:40 PM

IMO, the pretension of the statement was reinforced by the use of "being" to describe himself obviously implying to the naive reader that he is not "human" but superhuman or supernatural (perhaps even extraterrestrial) .....
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
IMO, the pretension of the statement was reinforced by the use of "being" to describe himself obviously implying to the naive reader that he is not "human" but superhuman or supernatural .....
Goodness you're clever Omah
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

30-09-2018, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I could change my name to Lo or Ogs?
"Formally being(sic) Dongy/Dongles I henceforth wish to be known as Lo..due to the low blow posts regarding flawless member Rhian's slapped thighs at al"
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

30-09-2018, 08:53 PM

Goodness you're clever Omah
Not really .....

West knows how to use words to influence the simple-minded and separate them from their dollars ..... making them think he is a god is part of the process and, apparently, he works hard at it .....
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

30-09-2018, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Not really .....

West knows how to use words to influence the simple-minded and separate them from their dollars ..... making them think he is a god is part of the process and, apparently, he works hard at it .....
I'm in awe
I'm about as insightful as a ...
.. a brick
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

30-09-2018, 10:42 PM

"Formally being(sic) Dongy/Dongles I henceforth wish to be known as Lo..due to the low blow posts regarding flawless member Rhian's slapped thighs at al"
Swoooooony

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top