Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 08:55 AM

Re: UK Referendum on Scottish Independence

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Nicola Sturgeon still banging on about Independence for Scotland. Leader says her country will decide on a fresh drive for independence from the United Kingdom as soon as it is known on what bases and rules Britain will leave the European Union.

Do not think it unreasonable for a referendum for all of us to decide if we want a United Kingdom split. The SNP and Plaid Cymru should work in parallel says Adam Price leader of Welsh party.

Read more at: https://www.scotsman.com/news/politi...e-uk-1-4811172
The SNP exist with the aim of campaigning for Scottish independence, so it should come as no surprise that the leader of the party brings the matter up. Its a matter of self determination and will only come about if the majority of Scots want it which has not been the case and I’m not convinced that it is the case now despite recent polls. Of course, Westminster will have to agree to abide by the result which is another can of worms. If the English people were to organise themselves and vote for the breakup of the UK then it has more chance of happening, even if Scotland voted to stay, as Westminster is dominated by England which is by far the largest country.
Talk of barbarians and Hadrians Wall doesn’t help the mood of my Cumbrian and Northumbrian friends by the way.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 09:18 AM

What the Scottish people have not been told or realise that going it alone means

1 No national health service
2 No state aid
3 No transport support from the UK
4 Schools won't get financed by England
5 Scottish people won't be able to support themselves financially
6 No representation at Westminster
7 all shipping will move back to England, so no submarine base with all the job losses it supports

Just to name a few things. it is about time this Sturgeon woman spoke up on these matters, because like all politicians they can't see 5 yards infront of them what will happen
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 10:24 AM

United we stand......Divided we fall......Speaking as a Doncaster resident of course....Och Aye.....
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 10:32 AM

If Scotland hold another referendum and vote for independence then good luck to them, more than 300 years overdue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKT7qxk9-pw
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
What the Scottish people have not been told or realise that going it alone means

2 No state aid
7 all shipping will move back to England, so no submarine base with all the job losses it supports

Just to name a few things. it is about time this Sturgeon woman spoke up on these matters, because like all politicians they can't see 5 yards infront of them what will happen
Did you just copy that from the EU's Brexit Negotiations package ?

Sounds like the "false threats" scare stories.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 10:58 AM

Hi

Full Independence means a new currency, we will not allow them to affect the value of the £.

There will be arguments about the share of the National Debt they take on, particularly in respect of the bail out of the banks.

It would also mean a Hard Border.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->

2 No state aid

We’ve been around the houses with that lot believe me! To repeat myself, it’s about self determination and I have heard all the scare stories and all the promises of utopia. Scotland is more than capable of governing itself.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland

08-10-2018, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
United we stand......Divided we fall......Speaking as a Doncaster resident of course....Och Aye.....
Been to Doncaster, had a good time. Sure we could open an embassy there to keep you happy 😆
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
We’ve been around the houses with that lot believe me! To repeat myself, it’s about self determination and I have heard all the scare stories and all the promises of utopia. Scotland is more than capable of governing itself.
Exactly the same as those of us wishing to leave the EU! Strange that you can see it clearly when it comes to Scotland going it alone, but cannot accept the same with the EU. Could it be perhaps because it's very easy to talk about "Independence" but I always assumed "independence" meant taking your own country and making it better. How can you do that if you are still tied to, if not the rest of the Union, then to the EU's apron strings? Surely that is not true independence.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
Well bring it on then, and let's see!

It is strange that the SNP is the largest Scottish party in Westminster, and they stand for Scottish independence.

Yet when the Scots were offered a referendum on independence, they voted to remain part of the UK.

Can't the Scots make their minds up?

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top