Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2015, 07:24 PM

Church Attendance

Yesterday my friend asked me to go with her to visit a woman from her Church in Hospital. This woman is very religious, Im told ,and she asked me which Church I was from. My friend told her that I do not go to Church, preferring to see God in the nature around us, but that I was a Christian. I could see her lips tighten with disapproval. It has irked me,why should people assume that as you dont go to Church you are not religious,or dont believe in God. I have my own views on religious and consider myself a good person,willing to help anyone if I can
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2015, 07:38 PM

Re: Church Attendance

I am not at all religious but I know that the christian churches teach that we should forgive people who don't follow Christian beliefs and try to understand them. Looks like the lady you friend visited hadn't got quite as much understanding about what Jesus taught as I, a non believer, has!
Red Kite
Red Kite is female 

11-10-2015, 07:49 PM

Don't bother going again Deylon, clearly she doesn't understand her own religion, i agree with Twink.

Good on you for being the Good Samaritan though...a pity she didn't recognise you as you stopped by...
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2015, 08:20 PM

Maybe her lips tightened with a pain.....she is in hospital so it would Christian to give her the benefit of the doubt.

I was taught that going to church was to see God in his house just like we go to friends house to see them or they visit us, we don't stay away and say we think of them so we don't need to visit them.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2015, 09:05 PM

This is an interesting coincidence, as I spent much of this afternoon watching videos of Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins on YouTube.

Like them I get a bit annoyed by the assumption or implication that just because someone doesn't believe in a supernatural being or overtly support a religion - usually Christianity - that they do not have decent, moral values
JainieB
Hampshire UK
JainieB is female  JainieB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2015, 09:41 PM

I agree entirely with what you say Zuludog.
I was brought up a christian, but am an agnostic nowadays.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2015, 10:21 PM

I was brought up in a Scottish Presbyterian tradition and by my teens I realised that it was rubbish.
I was married in church - it was the early 1970s and there wasn't much choice. I had no belief but I went along with it. I have never been to the Kirk again. If people want to believe in some supernatural being, that's up to them, I don't.

There are no gods and precious few heroes.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2015, 10:23 PM

I remember standing in the street with a woman who told me her daughter couldnt have bullied and threatend my child because they were 'decent church going people'

This idea that simpy entering a church once a week make you somehow superior to other people is just one more example of how organised religion brainwashes the weak minded.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2015, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
This is an interesting coincidence, as I spent much of this afternoon watching videos of Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins on YouTube.

Like them I get a bit annoyed by the assumption or implication that just because someone doesn't believe in a supernatural being or overtly support a religion - usually Christianity - that they do not have decent, moral values
Having read a couple of Dawkin's books, what was said was that supporters of religion believe that morality comes from the bible and those who do not believe in the bible have no morality. The reality is that is not true, in fact the complete opposite. Atheist's like myself have a very high standard of morality and the bible is probably the absolute worst thing ever when it comes to morality, altruism and the sense of right and wrong.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
I remember standing in the street with a woman who told me her daughter couldnt have bullied and threatend my child because they were 'decent church going people'

This idea that simpy entering a church once a week make you somehow superior to other people is just one more example of how organised religion brainwashes the weak minded.

So true - seen this attitude time and again

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top