Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
ScottishCatLady
Moray, Scotland.
ScottishCatLady is female  ScottishCatLady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2015, 07:48 PM

Re: Got a light mate?

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
I smoked for 38 1/2 years and stopped over 10 years ago. I remember it well it was just before i was to go out for a meal with my Brother and Son. It was very awkward at first as i automatically went to pick up my handbag to get my cigs not realising that i had none on me.. But after a while and over the months it got easier

I started smoking at 14yrs with No.6 and Park drive and then later i changed to Embassy Envoy and Embassy Regal. Although i did smoke anything Solent, Consulate, Black Cat, John Players, Lambert & Butler most of the time it was what i could afford to spend.. But now i'm free of it and i'm glad i stopped

I use to collect Embassy Coupons and got quite a few things from the catalogue as my husband smoked too..
I hear that a lot, but struggle to think why. It is just because you don't have the dependency any more?

It sounds silly, but cigarettes are like a friend to me. Always there when I need them.

Alcohol is a bit like that too, and that's probably not a good thing either.

When you get to my age though, you take what friends you can get.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2015, 07:56 PM

I started smoking at 14,on a Friday night a shop near the Picture House we would go to would let you buy 5 cadets I ended up on Embassy Regal and collected vouchers too

I had to go for a chest xray and told myself if it comes back all clear I will give up smoking, it was ok and I stopped smoking on my Birthday (my present to me ) that was nearly 20 years ago
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2015, 07:57 PM

I remember my father used to smoke Turf cigarettes and we used to collect the pictures on the back of the pack. Also he used to buy the small paper packs of 5 Woodbines.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2015, 07:58 PM

@ ScottishCatLady - I do like my drink though, strongbow original cider or lager and now and again a bottle of red wine
ScottishCatLady
Moray, Scotland.
ScottishCatLady is female  ScottishCatLady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2015, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
I remember my father used to smoke Turf cigarettes and we used to collect the pictures on the back of the pack. Also he used to buy the small paper packs of 5 Woodbines.
I remember Turf cigarettes, although I don't think they were popular and are certainly not around these days.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2015, 08:57 PM

I never started. In my early teens I observed both my parents trying to give up smoking. They found it very difficult.

I decided that it would be best not to start. Mind you I was the one odd person. In the 1950s I’d be at a meeting with everyone else smoking. The air was thick with it.
ScottishCatLady
Moray, Scotland.

31-10-2015, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Magoo ->
I never started. In my early teens I observed both my parents trying to give up smoking. They found it very difficult.

I decided that it would be best not to start. Mind you I was the one odd person. In the 1950s I’d be at a meeting with everyone else smoking. The air was thick with it.
Why was it that your parents tried to give up?

When I was growing up and a young adult I don't remember anybody attempting to quit. I was only in the late 70s/early 80s that people started to realise it may be injurious to health and I remember people then starting to give up.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2015, 09:04 PM

Holy Norah! Number 6!! We used to call them cancer sticks.
Oh! The youth and their black humour!
Then we smoked Consulate because they were less harmful!!
Then I progressed to Disque Bleu...used to stink out the Staff Room every lunch time!

Gave it up aeons ago, could still kill for one occasionally.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2015, 09:41 PM

Here are some photos of cigarette packets. I don't remember all of them (before my time probably) but some familiar brands are there:

http://www.visitthepast.co.uk/old-cigarette-packets

Does anyone remember Joysicks? I smoked a whole one in one go and it made me sick. Also remember buying a packet of Passing Cloud cigarettes.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2015, 10:44 PM

I still have a packet of 10 No6 st home still unopened☺

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top