Join for free
Page 19 of 21 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 21 >
marciniak
wales uk
marciniak is male  marciniak has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 06:32 PM

Re: Proud to be English

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
What is it then?

" IT " !!!

Theres more than one I'm sure...

Aviation started here, West Wales saw the first flight, years before the Wright bros.... but did the Wright brothers infringe/use ideas that were not theres, it has never been proved, so the answer is no... but they were not the first.

Taffy Bowen the Radar... second world war it were his radars that were fitted in cockpits and like.... and many today will say without his radar, the war could have easily had a different out come.
marciniak
wales uk
marciniak is male  marciniak has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 06:58 PM

I recall a statue in LLantrisant of some Dr I think who started Cremation

Wasn’t Mary Quant Welsh ? if so On behalf of Wales I claim we gave you the mini skirt.

I can't think of anymore but I'm sure there were/are others... Welsh gold, to royal wedding rings ...might have to look them up, or make some up lol
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 07:20 PM

and sheep .......

Sheep are eternally grateful to the Welsh for all those fields to romp in.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
No! Why should the title be British and not ENGLISH?
You all quite rightly take great pride in announcing to the world that you are Scottish, Welsh or N.Irish when asked, One can bet you hardly ever say BRITISH, so why is it always offensive to some on here from these domains of the United Kingdom, whenever the word ENGLISH is used?
Talk about wanting your cake and eating it!
I'm continually taking my local council to task over this. They have Pakistani, Indian, Chinese, and all other nationalities but no English on their forms. So irritating. They spend vast amounts on translation services (every official form is printed in multiple languages) but they can't be bothered to put English down as an option.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 07:52 PM

The welsh and the scottish wear kilts so they can show off their knees and ladies seem to be fascinated by them, I have no idea why
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by marciniak ->
I used I was British, when, why I changed to say I am Welsh I don't know.

Proud yes... Are the Welsh better than the rest of the UK... only when it comes to Rugby union.

But if England are playing any southern hemisphere side I support England, mind this annoys few of my friends... and the same support goes for the rest of the UK regardless the sport, if they're competing against another country outside the UK ...I become English, Irish and Scottish.

But in all good banter... I must say Welsh contributions to the UK, outweigh by far any that have been mentioned.

Without some of these contributions, there might have been no England, Scotland, Ireland or Wales, no its not our water.. lol
Well there are plenty of famous people who are Welsh, links below give both genders:

https://www.thefamouspeople.com/wales-women.php

https://www.thefamouspeople.com/wales-men.php

I am English by the way, not British and not ashamed to say so either!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Large wind farms
Black Law Wind Farm

Two of the wind turbines at the Black Law Wind Farm
The 54-turbine Black Law Wind Farm has a total capacity of 124 MW.[9] It is located near Forth in Lanarkshire and was built on old opencast coalmine site, with an original capacity of 97 MW[10] from 42 turbines. It employs seven permanent staff on site and created 200 jobs during construction. A second phase saw the installation of a further 12 turbines. The project has received wide recognition for its contribution to environmental objectives.[10] Over the period April 2009 to March 2010, Black Law Wind Farm produced 19.19% of its rated capacity.[11]

Braes of Doune Wind Farm
The Braes of Doune Wind Farm opened in 2007 and is located close to Stirling. The wind farm has 36 Vestas 2 MW wind turbines. The farm was built and is run by Airtricity.[12]

Clyde Wind Farm

Clyde Wind Farm
The Clyde Wind Farm is a 522 MW wind farm near Abington in South Lanarkshire, Scotland. The 152-turbine project by Scottish and Southern Energy,[13] which was approved by the Scottish Parliament in July 2008, is capable of powering 300,000 homes.[14] Turbines have been built either side of the M74 motorway.[15] Construction of the wind farm, which is budgeted for £600 million, started in early 2009 and finished in 2012.[16] The farm was opened at a ceremonial ribbon cutting by First Minister of Scotland Alex Salmond in September 2012.[17]

Crystal Rig Wind Farm
Crystal Rig Wind Farm is an operational onshore wind farm located on the Lammermuir Hills in the Scottish Borders region of Scotland. When it was completed in May 2004 it was the largest wind farm in Scotland. As a result of 3 extensions it is currently the 2nd largest wind farm in the UK, both in terms of nameplate capacity and number of turbines. The whole site has 85 turbines and a nameplate capacity of 200.5 MW.

Farr Wind Farm
Farr Wind Farm is located some 10 miles south of Inverness, and comprises 40 wind turbines with a total installed capacity of 92 MW. Every year the wind farm generates enough clean electricity to meet the average annual needs of some 54,000 homes.[18]

Hadyard Hill Wind Farm

Hadyard Hill wind farm. Located on the B734 between Old Dailly and Barr.
Hadyard Hill Wind Farm, owned and operated by Scottish and Southern Energy (SSE), became the first wind farm in the UK with a capacity of over 100 MW. The 120 MW, 52-turbine wind farm in South Ayrshire cost £85 million and in a year generates enough electricity to power 80,000 homes, sufficient to supply every household in a city the size of York. The production of zero carbon electricity at the wind farm is expected to reduce emissions of carbon dioxide by almost 300,000 tonnes a year, equivalent to taking 70,000 cars off the road.[19]

Novar Wind Farm

Novar Wind Farm is a 50 turbine, 53.8MW wind farm located in the Scottish Highlands. Constructed in 1997, Novar was of the earlier developments of Scottish on-shore wind generation. It provided a significant contribution to the local economy during construction and through its Community Benefit Fund. In 2010 an additional 16 turbines were constructed taking the yearly generation capacity to 53.8MW.

Whitelee Wind Farm
Whitelee Wind Farm, near Eaglesham, East Renfrewshire is the largest on-shore wind farm in the United Kingdom with 215 Siemens and Alstom wind turbines and a total capacity of 539 MW.[20]

There are many other large onshore wind farms in Scotland, at various stages of development, including some that are in community ownership.
Need to be a bit circumspect where wind farms are concerned especially in the case of the UK. At best it's around 40% which means that each I megawatt turbine will only churn out under a half megawatt over a period.

Then add the industrial load and it very soon shows that the output of those wind farms, although welcome, don't come anywhere near the amount of English tax payers money that gets given to Scotland.

I think that horrid Hairy-Mary Sturgeon and Salmond-the-Grope have done immeasurable harm to Anglo-Scottish relations.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Need to be a bit circumspect where wind farms are concerned especially in the case of the UK. At best it's around 40% which means that each I megawatt turbine will only churn out under a half megawatt over a period.

Then add the industrial load and it very soon shows that the output of those wind farms, although welcome, don't come anywhere near the amount of English tax payers money that gets given to Scotland.

I think that horrid Hairy-Mary Sturgeon and Salmond-the-Grope have done immeasurable harm to Anglo-Scottish relations.
The amount of English tax money is irrelevant.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
The amount of English tax money is irrelevant.
It bloody IS relevant when it's subsidising Scotland!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
It bloody IS relevant when it's subsidising Scotland!
In the referendum Scotland voted against independence by 55.3% to 44.7%, with an overall turnout of 84.5%. Since the referendum, opinion polls have asked how people would vote in a hypothetical second referendum. These polls have been carried out since six weeks after the referendum.

Page 19 of 21 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 21 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top