Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 11:35 PM

Re: Do you remember

In America where my friend lives, if you don't clear your drive/path & the path outside you get fined. She says when you do it the snow plough comes down the road & covers it in snow again.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 11:39 PM

The last time we had snow, one of my neighbours cleared the whole street both sides of the road, probably 200 yards worth. By the next day, it had all melted.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 11:41 PM

Is it just me or is it easier to walk on snow rather than a path that has been cleared?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Is it just me or is it easier to walk on snow rather than a path that has been cleared?

I never knew ,we can walk on top of snow!..😂🤣😅...without sinking, or is it me?..😂🤣😅
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 12:23 AM

my hubby always clears our path and the pavement to our neighbours on either side, and puts salt down so it doesn't freeze
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 12:23 AM

maybe if the gritters came round we wouldn't need to
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 01:09 AM

https://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/xmasmyths/index.htm

The Myths of Christmas

Christmas is a special time of year. Even so, it doesn't stop health and safety being - wrongly - cited as a reason for preventing pretty harmless activities from going ahead. Not only does this needlessly ruin the festive spirit but it also trivialises the true purpose of health and safety: protecting people from real risks at, or connected with, work.

In the run up to Christmas we will publish the top festive myths, gifted to HSE from media reports and correspondence received.
  1. Myth: Workers are banned from putting up Christmas decorations in the office
  2. Myth: Indoor Christmas lights need a portable appliance test (PAT) every year
  3. Myth: You can't throw out sweets at pantos
  4. Myth: Traditional shopping centre Christmas trees scaled back or replaced by artificial alternatives
  5. Myth: Seats removed from shops - despite weary Christmas shoppers wanting to rest their feet
  6. Myth: Carol singers are a health and safety risk
  7. Myth: Children are banned from throwing snowballs
  8. Myth: Health and safety prevents people putting coins in Christmas puddings
  9. Myth: You cannot clear snow and ice from pavements yourself
https://www.gov.uk/clear-snow-road-path-cycleway

Clear snow from a road, path or cycleway

You can clear snow and ice from pavements yourself. It’s unlikely that you’ll be sued or held responsible if someone is injured on a path or pavement if you’ve cleared it carefully.

How to clear snow and ice

When you clear snow and ice:
  • do it early in the day - it’s easier to move fresh, loose snow
  • don’t use water - it might refreeze and turn to black ice
  • use salt if possible - it will melt the ice or snow and stop it from refreezing overnight (but don’t use the salt from salting bins as this is used to keep roads clear)
  • you can use ash and sand if you don’t have enough salt - it will provide grip underfoot
  • pay extra attention when clearing steps and steep pathways - using more salt may help
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 01:17 AM

I don’t have a path as such , but a mutual flagged one runs in front of my door , it’s used by several neighbours to get out onto the main one and I wanted to put salt down but a passing neighbour stoped and gave me the “ lecture” above . So I didn’t .I have had to learn.... to be told what not to do !
🤨
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 07:41 AM

The myth that you should not clear the public pavement, was a 1980s red herring, perpetrated by the Wellington Boot industry.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
The last time we had snow, one of my neighbours cleared the whole street both sides of the road, probably 200 yards worth. By the next day, it had all melted.
Ain't that a metaphor for life.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top