Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2016, 07:40 AM

Powdery Mildew...

...on my Stocks.. no not my Socks! Can anyone suggest a way of removing this nasty fungus from my plants that doesn't involve removing and burning them. I'm not very keen on the use of chemicals but if that is the only cure then so be it. Never had this problem in previous years.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2016, 10:12 AM

Re: Powdery Mildew...

Here's a link
http://www.growingagreenerworld.com/...owdery-mildew/

Potassium bicarbonate– Similar to baking soda, this has the unique advantage of actually eliminating powdery mildew once it’s there. Potassium bicarbonate is a contact fungicide which kills the powdery mildew spores quickly. In addition, it’s approved for use in organic growing.
Mouthwash – If it can kill the germs in your mouth, certainly the fungal spores of powdery mildew are no match. And that’s the premise. Generic, ethanol based mouthwash can be very effective at control. Tests using one part mouthwash to three parts water worked for well for Jeff Gillman, Ph.D and Associate Professor at the University of Minnesota, Department of Horticulture. Just be careful when mixing and applying mouthwash as new foliage can be damaged.
Vinegar – Similar to mouthwash, the acetic acid of vinegar can control powdery mildew. A mixture of 2-3 tablespoons of common apple cider vinegar, containing 5% acetic acid mixed with a gallon of water does job. However, too much vinegar can burn plants but at the same time, higher concentrations (above 5%) are more effective
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2016, 10:39 AM

Thanks for that Malcolm. I found that link earlier. I think i'll give the Bicarb a try. Either that or i'll pull the things up!
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2016, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
...on my Stocks.. no not my Socks! Can anyone suggest a way of removing this nasty fungus from my plants that doesn't involve removing and burning them. I'm not very keen on the use of chemicals but if that is the only cure then so be it. Never had this problem in previous years.
Question is What sort of plants.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2016, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Thanks for that Malcolm. I found that link earlier. I think i'll give the Bicarb a try. Either that or i'll pull the things up!
You can get it from Amazon !
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey

11-06-2016, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Question is What sort of plants.
Stocks?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2016, 01:57 PM

Isn't Potassium Bicarbonate a chemical?
You could try athletes foot powder!
Just being naughty, sorry!
I must keep an eye on my stocks!
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2016, 02:00 PM

I've found that planting garlic next to plants susceptible to bugs and fungus works pretty well.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey

11-06-2016, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Isn't Potassium Bicarbonate a chemical?
You could try athletes foot powder!
Just being naughty, sorry!
I must keep an eye on my stocks!
...and your socks!!
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

11-06-2016, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I've found that planting garlic next to plants susceptible to bugs and fungus works pretty well.
It might work for you, but there is no scientific evidence for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top