Join for free
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2016, 12:28 PM

Is This Flamingo Willow Going To Die Or Can I Save It?

My Japanese Flamingo Willow Tree doesn't look too good. It has only a few leaves/flowers on it and the branches have a gnarled yellow and greyish growth on them.
Does this mean it's dying? Or is there something l can treat it with? Prune it?
Thank You if you can advise me.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	1288  
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2016, 12:47 PM

Re: Is This Flamingo Willow Going To Die Or Can I Save It?

it looks like its old and theres growth along some branches , moss or lichen?

lack of ventilation , over crowding the branches . I would thin it out taking the discoloured branches out and then feed it ..
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=411
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2016, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
it looks like its old and theres growth along some branches , moss or lichen?

lack of ventilation , over crowding the branches . I would thin it out taking the discoloured branches out and then feed it ..
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=411
Thank You! Eliza. I would say that the tree is about ten years old? It has been magnificent until this year!
I will prune it a bit and clear around it.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2016, 12:58 PM

Before you do anything else, see if there's a healthy looking piece of branch, if so cut it off and pot it up. Willows root easily do you might get a cutting to strike.
Even if you cut it to a stump by removing every branch it may start sprouting again if it's not too late.
If it's a graft, cut it just above the graft to keep the flamingo part.
If all the surgery fails, it may be time to buy a new one
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

26-06-2016, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Before you do anything else, see if there's a healthy looking piece of branch, if so cut it off and pot it up. Willows root easily do you might get a cutting to strike.
Even if you cut it to a stump by removing every branch it may start sprouting again if it's not too late.
If it's a graft, cut it just above the graft to keep the flamingo part.
If all the surgery fails, it may be time to buy a new one
I have now cut the tree back but many of the branches were dead. I cleared the whole area all around it and filled two green bins with brambles, nettles and that ? ground elder stuff. The ground is also covered in Ivy. Is there any easy way of getting rid of that?
TessA, it is a grafted flamingo willow and most of what l cut off was covered in what l now believe to be lichen. I will see if any of the flowery bits are suitable to grow. Thank You for your advice too!
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2016, 02:29 PM

It would seem that they need plenty of water Art...it could just need its soil saturating, on the other hand it may be beyond help, but don't give up 'til you are certain.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2016, 02:30 PM

I always like to save a plant if I can, even pot up nearly every seedling to give them a chance.
Bit of an old softie, especially with favourite ones.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2016, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I have now cut the tree back but many of the branches were dead. I cleared the whole area all around it and filled two green bins with brambles, nettles and that ? ground elder stuff. The ground is also covered in Ivy. Is there any easy way of getting rid of that?
TessA, it is a grafted flamingo willow and most of what l cut off was covered in what l now believe to be lichen. I will see if any of the flowery bits are suitable to grow. Thank You for your advice too!

Heres what i did getting rid of the ivy on the ground , covered it with anything i could lay my hands on mostly ground sheets we used while camping , doing this starved it of day light I left it on over winter , in the spring of the following year, I took it up and and shoots that were still alive I sprayed with Round Up . it was gone in a space of 12 months .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2016, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I always like to save a plant if I can, even pot up nearly every seedling to give them a chance.
Bit of an old softie, especially with favourite ones.

I'm exactly the same Tess. I try to save everything that shows even the slightest sign of life. I love my plants and flowers.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2016, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
My Japanese Flamingo Willow Tree doesn't look too good. It has only a few leaves/flowers on it and the branches have a gnarled yellow and greyish growth on them.
Does this mean it's dying? Or is there something l can treat it with? Prune it?
Thank You if you can advise me.

What a shame Art, it does look a bit grim. They are pretty little trees too.
When you trimmed it, was there any green at all showing inside the trimmed twigs? If they were all brown and dead inside I wouldn't have thought it very hopeful.
Something else might be worth a try, you could gently scrape back some soil around the roots to see if they have been feasted upon by the dreaded Vine Weeval bugs?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top