Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2016, 08:01 AM

Any idea's please.

How are you with herbs I am a total disaster with them, every year I seed various ones in trays but I never get anything from them. I wonder is there a knack to all of it.

I have been pretty successful with the roses but I must admit to failing on certain levels I planted 2 rose bush's to grow up on my arch but these past couple of years although they have climbed and bloomed strongly they always seem to go down with this white fungus. Also I never realised how thorny they would be so its hard to guide them through the gaps in the archway and now when walking past them on occasions my arm rubs against them and I get the odd scratch.
So the bottom line is I am looking for ideas for next year on what to grow up the arch. I will be digging the roses up soon but past failed experiences with Clemitis/Honeysuckle have me scratching my head as to what to replace the roses with.
Any idea's on both the herb and the replacement of the climbing roses would be much appreciated.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2016, 08:50 AM

Re: Any idea's please.

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
How are you with herbs I am a total disaster with them, every year I seed various ones in trays but I never get anything from them. I wonder is there a knack to all of it.

I have been pretty successful with the roses but I must admit to failing on certain levels I planted 2 rose bush's to grow up on my arch but these past couple of years although they have climbed and bloomed strongly they always seem to go down with this white fungus. Also I never realised how thorny they would be so its hard to guide them through the gaps in the archway and now when walking past them on occasions my arm rubs against them and I get the odd scratch.
So the bottom line is I am looking for ideas for next year on what to grow up the arch. I will be digging the roses up soon but past failed experiences with Clemitis/Honeysuckle have me scratching my head as to what to replace the roses with.
Any idea's on both the herb and the replacement of the climbing roses would be much appreciated.

Regarding the herbs, if you are unsuccessful with seed sowing, you could always try bought in young plants to repot and grow on do you think?

If you really want roses on the arch, there are which are practically thornless, and some which are more resistant to disease than others. Maybe you just made the wrong choice?
If you do replant with roses again though, I would either change the soil in the hole, and add some microrrizhal fungus to the roots to give them a fresh start.

http://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/da...orrhizal-fungi.

BTW, I have a Mortimer Sackler which is thornless, but there are others.
longfellow
Chatterbox
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2016, 09:17 AM

Mortimer Sackler will look that one up in the local gardening centre or even online. Thanks Mups
The roses are in planters That I made to support the arch on either side. They have black plastic liners in them. Perhaps a complete new load of soil is needed first, the climbers are definetely going to be replaced those thorns are really sharp and there are so many.
Thanks again.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2016, 10:17 AM

Rosa Banksii Lutea ( may have spelled wrong) is a lovely little yellow rose that's thornless and climbs well, if you really want a rose. I've had mine for years and never had any disease.
There's always jasmine or passiflora for an arch, I find clematis a bit troublesome, but it could be because my gardens very windy.
As for herbs, I think some like poor soil as they're Mediterranean in origin, but I could be wrong
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2016, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mups
Regarding the herbs, if you are unsuccessful with seed sowing, you could always try bought in young plants to repot and grow on do you think?
Totally agree with this.
I tried so many times with seeds, and while I did get some, it really is a lot easier, and way less frustrating, to buy seedlings.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2016, 10:44 AM

Solanum crispum glasnevin aka Chilean potato plant?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2016, 10:48 AM

Rosemary is an easy herb to grow, and great for using with lamb. It also has tiny blue flowers.
Sage and Thyme are also easy to grown and good for use in cooking. Fresh chives are also very tasty when freshly cut. Why not try growing them in pots first, to get them started , and then plant them in your garden.
I have never tried to grow Marjoram, which I love to use in tomato dishes , so if you succeed please let me know.

If you have a cat you could try cat mint, he will eat it before it gets above 4 inches, so you may need to protect it... but you will be his best friend for life
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2016, 10:58 AM

I can not give any advice on experience of growing over a arch way but here's a few you could look through , if you haven't already .

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=466
longfellow
Chatterbox

10-07-2016, 09:29 PM

Cheers guys for all the ideas, sorry I never got back to you all sooner. Will take note and look into everything tomorrow
Been a very busy day here my boy is home from Nigeria for a few days so all the family have been buzzing about.
Thanks again.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2016, 09:25 AM

We bought small plug plants a tray of chives, parsley, mint and oregano, all planted into a well drained hanging basket and all going mad ! It's worth IMO buying them ready growing like that as like you we have failed with seeds many times.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top