Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 09:31 PM

Re: Experience or education ?

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Indeed. Did a plumbing course (as one does!), and there's a fair amount of bookwork involved.
Yes, plumbing, electickery, gas engineering, all have many rules and regulations and I believe that electrics keep updating theirs all the time.

A mate of mine trained to be a bricklayer and he had a lot of reading to do as well as the practical skills (which I have tried and never really managed properly).
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
If you were employing someone which would you chose ? One who knows the job or one who learnt it from books.
The one who'd take the bullet.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I would suggest that electrical engineers have a lot of experience.
Rather depends on how one defines an engineer. Most are not, they're technicians at best.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Rather depends on how one defines an engineer. Most are not, they're technicians at best.
See, that’s the problem in this country, engineers are respected better across the globe...
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 10:25 PM

Electricity can kill you, don't matter how many new training courses a sparky goes on, same with Gas, the discoverers were out there, the engineers are chancers, knowing the risks, and cutting corners, that is why there is so many certifications.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
That's true. Our receptionist would call for an engineer for for a copier fault or a vending machine. It used to irk me.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 10:36 PM

I would say, experience is more important. You learn more by being ‘hands on’.
Education, is more to do with theory and going ‘by the book’
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Electricity can kill you, don't matter how many new training courses a sparky goes on,
But not all that many fatalities. About 26 a year I believe. In the industrial sector where I worked I know of one fatality and one serious injury. That was in fifty years.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
But not all that many fatalities. About 26 a year I believe. In the industrial sector where I worked I know of one fatality and one serious injury. That was in fifty years.
Someone once said and l don’t know if it’s true. If you put your left hand on your heart when working with electrics, an electric shock won’t kill you.
Or, was it putting your left arm up your back?

It’s probably a load of rubbish!!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

28-02-2021, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Someone once said and l don’t know if it’s true. If you put your left hand on your heart when working with electrics, an electric shock won’t kill you.

It’s probably a load of rubbish!!
Along time, ago one of my colleagues used to smoke a fag in in one hand and a pocked in the other. That avoided electrocution...........

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top