Join for free
Page 15 of 27 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 02:58 PM

Re: World War II

Originally Posted by tedc ->
thanks ll,

it's not comforting to remember that our government had to get down on it's knees to beg for assistance in a european war in which certain groups were being gassed if they were deemed to be "not worthy".

We're grateful for the help of the commonwealth countries, and others who came to the assistance.

Not all had to be bribed to do so.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
As for "Get used to it" - I suggest you do just that!!! ,,,,,,,,,in the same way that the parents of Harry Dunn have had to get used to the fact that their son's killer will not be returned to the UK to face charges because she is American!! WHY do Americans feel the rest of the world should kowtow to them??? In absolutely NO WAY will I EVER feel subservient to an American!
Well said, LL.

The Americans are in the fortunate position of being the most powerful individual country in the world.

However, things change. We were once in that position and now we're not.

It is quite likely that the 'American Empire' will also fall in time.

I wonder who will be next to be the 'world leader'. China?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-04-2021, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Lindyloo,
I don't understand how/why you feel that Americans expect Brits, or anyone else, to kowtow to us. . I thought I make it extremely clear that I, for one, did not believe that. For that matter, I have never encountered anyone who felt that way. That being said, I have, however, encountered numerous Brits while traveling abroad who acted extremely superior. Odd, huh ?
I agree about some Brits abroad, especially the drunken yobs who seem to prefer booze and beaches in Spain to anything of intellectual interest.

However, having worked in an American hospital in Saudi Arabia, I can assure you that the American staff regarded themselves as superior to not only the third-world staff, but also the British and other European.
I found this particularly short-sighted bearing in mind that the British qualification in radiography surpassed in quality that of the American equivalent.
Dachs
Germany
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I think that the relevant fact, in all that's said, in this topic, should be that the war was only going to be won after all of the allied countries joined together and supported each other in the effort.

Watching the movies, reading the books, all created since, does not a lot to help with understanding that.

I'm proud that Britain got involved early.

Had we not done so, virtually all of Europe would now be Nazi!

A touch of gratitude, coming our way, would be nice!
I don't agree to the sentence highlighted.

But gratitude? Here it comes. I've always been grateful to the Allied Forces that rid us from evil. What can I do to substantiate that? Two things, basically. I can counter those political forces and people in Germany (and elsewhere) who, for instance, publicly state that Hitler and the Nazis were just "a speck of bird poop" in German history. And I can pay tribute to allied soldiers by reading books they have written and trace their fates.
The last book I have just finished reading is "The Liberator. One WWII Soldier's 500-Day Odyssey from the Beaches of Sicily to the Gates of Dachau" (concentration camp) by Alex Kershaw (not to be mixed up with the historian Ian Kershaw who was mentioned earlier in this thread). Another very impressive book about the time and events written in the form of a diary but also including the views of the enemy as well as those of SHAPE. As an infantryman from the Thunderbirds (157th Infantry Regiment, 45th Infantry Division) based at Fort Sill in Oklahoma, Felix Sparks miraculously survived the war combating in more than ten major battles. He was the only officer with the rank of Colonel who risked his life often fighting directly in the line of fire. He commanded the unit that arrived at the gates of Dachau, saw freight cars full of bodies, and freed the camp from the SS. But as the commanding officer he prevented some member of his unit from shooting them on the spot.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
American behaviour where WW2 is concerned is absolutely germaine to what took place before, during, and after the war.
Did you mean germane? Unless you're talking feminism which I don't think is a subject close to your heart!

Anyway your point would apply to pretty much any situation for any country in the history of warfare.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Did you mean germane? Unless you're talking feminism which I don't think is a subject close to your heart!

Anyway your point would apply to pretty much any situation for any country in the history of warfare.
Bloomin' spellcheck!

Otherwise I disagree. American actions preceding and following WW2 has been disgusting. Very brave combatants, but disgusting government where Interfering in other nations are involved. Small wonder American people are hated so widely across the world - and they are.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 05:35 PM

Bloomin' spellcheck!

Otherwise I disagree. American actions preceding and following WW2 has been disgusting. Very brave combatants, but disgusting government where Interfering in other nations are involved. Small wonder American people are hated so widely across the world - and they are.
Obviously you have not traveled to The Philippines. Americans are loved and admired throughout the country. The Filipinos remember everything that Americans did to free them from the cruel yoke of the Japanese army.
My personal experiences in Hong Kong and Thailand lead me to believe that they also love Americans.

In any event, I suggest you study the history of The British Empire and what they did to India, before you go pointing fingers.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 05:39 PM

Bloomin' spellcheck!

I don't hate Americans. It's possibly Brits that are more hated in many countries particularly ex empire countries. Americans are perhaps looked down on by some countries for acting superior whilst having a comparatively shallow culture. That's the stereotype anyway. But Americans are definitely deemed as more polite & well behaved than many drunken Brits who invade holiday destinations.

America the nation may be hated by countries that do not like US influence but probably more so in Islamic states or south america than in Europe or Asia.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-04-2021, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I don't hate Americans. It's possibly Brits that are more hated in many countries particularly ex empire countries. Americans are perhaps looked down on by some countries for acting superior whilst having a comparatively shallow culture. That's the stereotype anyway. But Americans are definitely deemed as more polite & well behaved than many drunken Brits who invade holiday destinations.

America the nation may be hated by countries that do not like US influence but probably more so in Islamic states or south america than in Europe or Asia.
That is certainly the case, but the drunken Brits you refer to are an embarrassment to us all. They are also a relatively recent phenomenon and didn't exist in that form when I was a young man. Of course, far fewer people went on holiday to Spain in those days.

Personally, I find them despicable especially, when in their drunken stupor, they go around proclaiming their 'British superiority' to all. All they seem interested in is boozing and sitting in the sun on a beach. That is the extent to which their little minds are capable of extending.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Obviously you have not traveled to The Philippines. Americans are loved and admired throughout the country. The Filipinos remember everything that Americans did to free them from the cruel yoke of the Japanese army.
My personal experiences in Hong Kong and Thailand lead me to believe that they also love Americans.

In any event, I suggest you study the history of The British Empire and what they did to India, before you go pointing fingers.
It's easy to confuse "love" with "respect" isn't it? Almost all third world and/or developing countries will "LOVE" Americans for one reason only - $$$$

Page 15 of 27 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top