Join for free
Page 22 of 33 « First < 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 > Last »
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 11:51 AM

Re: Seen A Scam? Warn us if you have!

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I haven't seen it, but unless I knew the people or definitely knew of their situation I'd treat it as a scam.

Unfortunately, there's one born every minute!
A lot of people must fall for the tricks, otherwise the scammers would stop doing it?

I try never to pick up the phone if I don't recognise the number displayed (or my phone doesn't).

If I feel I have to pick it I never speak to the caller first. i.e. let him tell you who he thinks you are.

(sometimes you get a call, from an asian lady, which, after some translation problems, turns out to be an appointment for a Vaccine jab - the NHS, and some others, need to think that through!)

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by RJG ->
We get calls purporting to come from our bank saying that my debit card has been used by someone else, which is of course a lie. I check all our bank accounts daily.

I also get calls purporting to come from BT saying they are going to close down our service, another lie.

I keep blocking the calls, but then they use a similar but different number.
Get an answerphone. They can ask you to 'press 1' to their heart's content!

It works! We only pick up our phone if we recognise the number or the caller's voice or message.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 12:11 PM

It works! We only pick up our phone if we recognise the number or the caller's voice or message.

I've started doing the same, JBR.
I've had more than enough from these persistent scammers.
RJG
UK
RJG is female  RJG has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 12:24 PM

I have an answer phone.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 12:46 PM

"I'm not able to reply to your post at the moment, please leave your forum name and I'll get back to you"

I've got one on here.....
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 12:56 PM

Hi this is my new answering service; it uses telepathy to read your mind. At the BEEP think about your name, then your number, then think about your reason for calling… and I will think about calling you back.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Hi this is my new answering service; it uses telepathy to read your mind. At the BEEP think about your name, then your number, then think about your reason for calling… and I will think about calling you back.
I like that idea!

Imagine when we get to be able to mind read!

They'll be getting at you whatever you're doing at the time!

Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I like that idea!

Imagine when we get to be able to mind read!

They'll be getting at you whatever you're doing at the time!

"Would you like some help with that sir.....can I just ask you for permission to remotely control it from my end?" (I just watched a youtube video of a scammer doing that on someone's computer)
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 10:12 AM

Another scam! I received an email telling me that my car tax is overdue because the direct debit wasn't being honoured by my bank after two attempts. They wanted me to follow a link to pay it or else I would be fined up to £800 for not taxing my car.

I don't pay my car tax by direct debit so knew straightaway that it was a scam but it's not one I've seen before so thought I would warn others about it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
Another scam! I received an email telling me that my car tax is overdue because the direct debit wasn't being honoured by my bank after two attempts. They wanted me to follow a link to pay it or else I would be fined up to £800 for not taxing my car.

I don't pay my car tax by direct debit so knew straightaway that it was a scam but it's not one I've seen before so thought I would warn others about it.

I've had that one too, Margaret, and like you, I don't even pay direct debit for it. I am sick to death of these horrible people.

I had two scam phone calls yesterday as well. When I looked up the dialling code of the first one, it said it was from North Korea!!

Page 22 of 33 « First < 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top