Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 02:03 PM

Re: UK should be grateful

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Solly is very bitter about brexit Twink?
He really loved us being members for some obscure reason ??
I suspect he has interests in fishing or he would have given up
by now given that is the only outstanding issue to negotiate ??

Donkeyman! 🤗🤗
I recall him being a little upset because his wife's business woulds suffer when we left. Of course he will probably deny that now... but like the rest of the EU, probably too embarrassed to admit that they needed the UK.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I recall him being a little upset because his wife's business woulds suffer when we left. Of course he will probably deny that now... but like the rest of the EU, probably too embarrassed to admit that they needed the UK.

The UK has been trading less and less with the EU as years have gone by even before Brexit and the pandemic.
From around 40% of our trade being outside the EU at the turn of the century to well over half in 2019 in fact.

Our manufacturing growth was at a 10-year high this month and actual production has just hit a 20-year high as exports boom.

In the last few days even the IMF have had to again revise the UK's growth forecasts ............ upwards to 5.3% which is more than the Eurozone and it is pedicted to be higher in 2022 by some margin too.

Some say it's all because of Covid.
I would have to ask in response where then is all the alleged damage from Brexit that was supposed to so hugely negatively affect our economy?
It looks like we're doing okay as a country regardless and those in the know are saying that the next release of statistics is going to confirm that too.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 04:45 PM

You must have gone to the wrong places then Annie??
I suspect you went to four or five star hotels??
That's not the place for fun in any country?
You must mix with "Der volk" l if you want fun !!
Have you never sat around a long wooden table in a tavern when the
drinking song was taking place ??
I found the ladies were very friendly too !!

Donkeyman! 🤗🤗🤗
No way. I've usually stayed with the family of friends or friends. We also interrailed all over Germany back in the late 80s. their hostels were superb even then. The best in Europe.

It's nice being with the friends/family and of course Germans make great friends and have a great sense of humour (usually), but the atmosphere is generally not relaxed, just walking around people are very "aware" of each other, very nosey but not always in a good natured way, more an intrusive judgy way. The weather seems good but there's something with the air pressure or weather that gives me a headache and makes me tired. Yes Kaffee und Kuchen on the Rhine is very nice, but it just doesn't agree with me if it comes with a migraine. Also I do speak some (now not so good) German. I certainly understand German fairly well.

I can't remember who I was talking to who said they could not stand the way their neighbours are always giving them advice on how to be a better neighbour and fit in with the neighbourhood. It might have been an Italian friend who lived there. The one area we never went to but I'd like to visit one day is the south of the country, the black forest area and Bodensee. I have or have had friends from that area and they are really nice. More like Austria than the rest of Germany. We were very close by in Salzburg which was lovely. Actually we did cross the border on a day trip to the "Eagle's nest". I had a uni friend from Bodensee but we lost touch. It's meant to be stunning on lake Constance. The Swabian region has some really nice people. But they are according to one friend from there looked down on snootily by Germans from other regions!

Anyway I'd love to return to Berlin. We were there before the wall fell. Strange people and atmosphere at the time (like being locked in a zoo), but a fascinating city.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 04:53 PM

Quite right OGF, but don't travel first class, l remember being turfed
out of a posh resturaunt one lunchtime, they wouldn't even take our
order !!
We ended up eating in the railway station where every body was
asking us questions,( all in German of course!).
Fun was had by all !!
Some of them tend to be a bit arrogant, but so do some of our
"upper class" too !!

Donkeyman! 👍👍
Yes they are very very nosey! Denmark is so much nicer and people don't interrogate you. Also they don't much like Germans in Denmark.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
No way. I've usually stayed with the family of friends or friends. We also interrailed all over Germany back in the late 80s. their hostels were superb even then. The best in Europe.

It's nice being with the friends/family and of course Germans make great friends and have a great sense of humour (usually), but the atmosphere is generally not relaxed, just walking around people are very "aware" of each other, very nosey but not always in a good natured way, more an intrusive judgy way. The weather seems good but there's something with the air pressure or weather that gives me a headache and makes me tired. Yes Kaffee und Kuchen on the Rhine is very nice, but it just doesn't agree with me if it comes with a migraine. Also I do speak some (now not so good) German. I certainly understand German fairly well.

I can't remember who I was talking to who said they could not stand the way their neighbours are always giving them advice on how to be a better neighbour and fit in with the neighbourhood. It might have been an Italian friend who lived there. The one area we never went to but I'd like to visit one day is the south of the country, the black forest area and Bodensee. I have or have had friends from that area and they are really nice. More like Austria than the rest of Germany. We were very close by in Salzburg which was lovely. Actually we did cross the border on a day trip to the "Eagle's nest". I had a uni friend from Bodensee but we lost touch. It's meant to be stunning on lake Constance. The Swabian region has some really nice people. But they are according to one friend from there looked down on snootily by Germans from other regions!

Anyway I'd love to return to Berlin. We were there before the wall fell. Strange people and atmosphere at the time (like being locked in a zoo), but a fascinating city.
Oh! So why your earlier post Annie??
I would repost it here for you, IFl knew how to do it ??
I think you must have been having an off day ?

Donkeyman! 👍😀👍
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 05:20 PM

Yes they are very very nosey! Denmark is so much nicer and people don't interrogate you. Also they don't much like Germans in Denmark.
That comes from their Gestapo heritage Annie !!
I've never been to Denmark but believe it is very nice??
We had six Danish guests on the farm one year and they all stood up
at breakfast and sang happy birthday to me in Danish on me
birthday !!
Very nice, brought a tear to me eye ??

Donkeyman! 👍😀😀👍
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

10-04-2021, 05:26 PM

Oh! So why your earlier post Annie??
I would repost it here for you, IFl knew how to do it ??
I think you must have been having an off day ?

Donkeyman! 👍😀👍
My earlier post is because I don't like visiting Germany! It's the last place I'd choose to go on holiday - the weather the general atmosphere, the noseyness. There's a reason Germans are always travelling to get away from it all
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

10-04-2021, 05:29 PM

That comes from their Gestapo heritage Annie !!
I've never been to Denmark but believe it is very nice??
We had six Danish guests on the farm one year and they all stood up
at breakfast and sang happy birthday to me in Danish on me
birthday !!
Very nice, brought a tear to me eye ??

Donkeyman! 👍😀😀👍
Denmark is very nice. Danes are very enterprising people I guess from their viking heritage. Also some great bridges and wildlife spotting. There is a lot of "hygge" there too. Lovely cosy apartments, good times with friends, good food drink and conversation. It's a welcoming place.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

10-04-2021, 05:33 PM

The only down side was being offered pickled herrings for breakfast!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 08:32 PM

I don't understand your post or the fuss about this. Britain's supply of AZ is manufactured in India. We have also ordered 17m doses of Moderna. Probably with more to follow. The AZ remaining stocks are being used for second vaccines with Moderna being used for new vaccines of younger cohorts. Considering people are turning down AZ because of all the bad publicity I can't see us running short.

I'm still trying to work out how our supply is so affected by the EU. Moderna is manufactured in the US. We have already received about 50m doses of AZ. Most of our AZ is manufactured in the UK. This is a dispute between the EU and AZ and not between the EU and the UK.

The UK is definitely ahead of the curve on this.
Ouch! Haven't you heard AZ is sueing india becayse they blocked the vaccines produced there? https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-56659206

The EU’s*vaccine*tsar has said that*AstraZeneca*has agreed that all but one batch of its Covid vaccine produced at a Netherlands plant will be sent to European member states rather than Britain.

In an interview on Friday,*Thierry Breton*said that “zero” doses made in the EU would be sanctioned for delivery to the UK until AstraZeneca fulfilled its contract with the bloc.

There was no immediate response from the Anglo-Swedish pharmaceuticals giant to Mr Breton’s assertion that the company had acknowledged that all but 1.2-1.5 million doses of vaccine produced at the Halix plant in Leiden, the Netherlands, as well as the plant in Seneffe, Belgium, were for the EU.

Mr Breton said: “I organised a video teleconference between the CEO of Halix and the CEO of AstraZeneca, and finally the CEO of AstraZeneca recognised that all the production of Halix was planned to support the EU delivery. That is all I can tell you.
The CEO of AstraZeneca told us that in fact since February all the production of Halix has been planned to be delivered to Europe except, he said, one batch, to be very precise.”
The British policy of prioritising first doses was completely understandable, but it means it now has to find second doses, and in a hurry,” he said. “I don’t want to make anyone anxious, we will of course do all we can to meet their needs, but we also have certain constraints in Europe.”

While the first phase of the UK’s vaccination rollout was “hugely impressive”, he said Britain was “starting to realise that one dose is not enough, that you also need second doses – and that, to a large extent, it will be dependent on Europe.”*

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top