Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 09:11 PM

Re: How's your handwriting?

I`ve always had appalling handwriting as I`m left-handed, which wasn`t encouraged at my school. But I taught myself to read and write by copying my older sister`s efforts so when I did go to school, I was already using my left hand and they gave up trying to stop me.
That`s my excuse anyway!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 09:59 PM

I write back-hand-I'm told its very neat but difficult to read I've never had any problems reading it
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 10:28 PM

Other than checks, grocery lists and birthday/Xmas cards, I cannot remember when I've actually written anything in ages. Penmanship was adequate, but has deteriorated with non use.
MrsH
Hampshire, UK
MrsH is female  MrsH has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 10:05 AM

My handwriting used to be really neat but I'm afraid it first started to deteriorate when I was at university. The pressure of trying to get every important word from the lectures onto the page (there were no ready-printed handouts in the 60's!) led to it becoming a bit of a scribble and using a ball-point instead of a fountain pen made things worse.

When I look back at the beautiful writing on some old family papers, I feel really sorry that these skills have been lost nowadays.
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 05:10 PM

You are right MrsH. My Dad had the most beautiful writing and his brother writes almost identically - obviously they went to the same school. I get a bit of a shiver when I see my uncle's writing now as my dad died 16 years ago.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 11:54 PM

Did you have what was called the Palmer Method of handwriting taught in school?
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2009, 09:53 PM

Not as far as I was aware DM.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

11-08-2009, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by angieh ->
Not as far as I was aware DM.

The Palmer Method was developed by Austin Norman Palmer around 1888 and was introduced in the 1894 book Palmer's Guide to Business Writing. The Palmer Method became the most popular handwriting system in the early 1900s. It continued its dominance until displaced by the movement to teach printing instead of cursive as the dominant handwriting style for students.

This was used in almost all schools, particularly the Catholic ones. My Mom and aunts all wrote beautiful Palmer method, I had it in primary school; you had to spend hours practicing your letter forms in a workbook!
angieh
Hampshire, UK

11-08-2009, 10:55 PM

That's interesting, especially as I did attend a Catholic school, although I was not Catholic myself. I found this web site to get an illustration and confirmed that we were actually taught Italic in primary school.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2009, 09:02 AM

I can't remember being tought to write but I suppose I was, somehow.
Another handwriting questions - why do all handwritten menus etc in France appear to have a uniform hand whilst there are so many writing styles here?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top