Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 11:14 AM

Sunday Trading

Plans are afoot to extend the Sunday trading hours what are your views ??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33421842
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 12:11 PM

Re: Sunday Trading

This has never really been an issue in Scotland because there were no Sunday trading laws as such. Shops were generally able to choose their own hours though most did not open on Sundays as a matter of custom, and the influence of the church. I remember some years ago touring the Western Isles and finding everything on Lewis & Harris was closed from Saturday evening till Monday morning. It was like stepping back into the 1950's.

Now most supermarkets, DIY stores etc.. are open 8 till 8 or 8 till 6 on Sundays. (at least on the mainland)
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 12:22 PM

For some people weekends is only time they get to shop so personally I would like to see shops open if they want to be, I would also like to see protection of staff though giving them time to go to church if they wish.
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 12:28 PM

quote Julie

I would also like to see protection of staff though giving them time to go to church if they wish.

That's very true, but you'd be surprised a lot of people would be thankful for an extra bit of money in overtime in this day and age.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 01:02 PM

I would like to see all shops shut on Sunday's just to see how people would cope?! A lot of people can't remember what it was like to sleep in and go for a long walk or visit the park or Museum. and take the children to the coast or visit relatives... It's all gone out the window, i'm sure people were better off moneywise!!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
I would like to see all shops shut on Sunday's just to see how people would cope?! A lot of people can't remember what it was like to sleep in and go for a long walk or visit the park or Museum. and take the children to the coast or visit relatives... It's all gone out the window, i'm sure people were better off moneywise!!
Yep - agree with that, would be nice if that were so - won't happen though - its sad, but the way it is ............
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 01:53 PM

Another joy of retirement is being able to shop any day I choose, and I choose not to shop on Sundays. We still have a lot of independant shops here and they still have their early closing day and don't open on Sundays.
It's a sort of old/new mix that seems to satisfy most peoples'shopping needs.

We're not a religeous family, but it's nice (and sensible) to have a relaxing day every week. However, this is a farming & fishing area so for many locals, it's a year round job. Animals don't seem to understand weekends.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 01:55 PM

I dont mind the shops being open longer on Sundays ,im sure there will always be employees that would be glad of extra hours of work.
I dont think that people should be pressured to working on Sunday though if they have good reason for not wanting to ,surely there are enough unemployed people that would be only too glad of a few hours work if stores find it that difficult to staff their shops with extra hours being introduced.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 01:57 PM

I used to like working on a Saturday and having a day off in the week, sometimes a Sunday too if there was stocktaking. I think it may benefit those who need childcare also those who would like to attend school events if they could have a different day off.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
People can still do that even with the shops open. But those who work long hours 6-7 days a week need to have a wide choice of times they can shop and many can only do it on a Sunday.
The quiet Sundays have long gone and no good trying to recreate them far too many people work weekends now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top