Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2015, 04:35 PM

Re: Sunday Trading

I do not think that they do these days, staff are just contracted to work so many hours per week on a rota. If anyone knows otherwise - please feel free to correct me.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2015, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I do not think that they do these days, staff are just contracted to work so many hours per week on a rota. If anyone knows otherwise - please feel free to correct me.

I think you're probably right Tabby. I know when I was at work, (that was care work), but we had to work out contracted number of hours regardless of what days they fell on.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree, Patsy.

We're still all here, alive and kicking aren't we? Therefore we all survived the days when shops didn't open at all on Sundays.
With fridges and freezers in every home nowadays, if someone can't survive without shopping for 1 DAY a week, there is something terribly wrong.
Personally, I wouldn't dream of dragging round a supermarket on a Sunday.
But were so many working the long hours we do now ? as I said earlier husband works 7 days a week, nephew too does 6 1/2 days, only days they can shop are sunday afternoons. Have always envied USA 24/7 shops in the cities. No pressure to get things done at certain times.

We used to do our grocery shop at 3-4am was brilliant so easy to get around.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 10:07 AM

I used to do shop work , most are paid the minimum wage . I was expected to work Sundays and bank holidays . Work boxing day , work late on Christmas eve. It was long days on my feet. Most shoppers were pleasant people but some unkind and rude. Shop workers are hard workers and they will be put in a position of having to work Sundays and longer hours with little choice . I was never paid double time Sundays or bank holidays .

Some of course will welcome extra hours .

I'm always grateful to shop workers for their service , always thank them and appreciate them , I know how tiring it can be.

Personally it won't affect me , I'm retired now and can shop any day .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 10:31 AM

Many supermarkets pay over NMW these days they are some of the better wages for semi/un skilled workers.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 11:28 AM

All shops should not open on Sunday's, but Takeaway establishments should be able to provide a delivery service.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 01:55 PM

i think it should be by choice .... we did cope years ago when they where shut '
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by toffee ->
i think it should be by choice .... we did cope years ago when they where shut '

Exactly, toffee. That's what I said earlier.
Have many died or starved because they couldn't trudge round a supermarket on a sunday?

If someone can't get organised in the other 6 days available, I don't understand it.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
I would like to see all shops shut on Sunday's just to see how people would cope?! A lot of people can't remember what it was like to sleep in and go for a long walk or visit the park or Museum. and take the children to the coast or visit relatives..
People can still do that now......no one is forced to shop on Sundays.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top