Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 10:22 AM

a back handed treat !

A friend who I'd not seen for a while invited me over for the day to her new home. After coffee she said , " I thought it would be nice to go out for lunch" . She'd been showing me around her beautiful new home and it was beautiful , I was pleased for her .

We went to a lovely garden centre , had a nice lunch and glass of wine , then she got up and said "let's go and pay the bill " , getting to the till I was surprised to find she was expecting me to pay for the meals. I had just enough to pay for mine , then she paid for hers by card.

It was obvious that she thought I'd pay , she had taken no money and reluctantly searched deep in her handbag for her card. In the past I'd often paid ,but I don't have the money that she has , as I'm on state pension , she having just had a large inheritance and husband who earns a good salary.

I honestly thought she was treating me to lunch that day , I'd been invited to her home for the day .

I shall be more aware if I visit her again. If I invite someone to my home then decide to eat out my natural thing is to treat that friend to a meal , not to expect them to treat me.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 10:23 AM

Re: a back handed treat !

Bit rude that IMO. If she invited you then she should pay.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 10:59 AM

Flippin" "eck .
She got some nerve, at a "push" [and it would have to be a good push for me], split the bill but to expect you to pay after she had invited to hers for the day is just [pleasant words fail me-- wink].
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 11:02 AM

Yes I agree with Julie,You were INVITED to Her house for the day and would have expected Her to make lunch at Her home,She decided to eat out so She should have paid..jeeze..some Folk have a brass neck.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 11:05 AM

Cheeky cow! Trouble is people with money often can't comprehend that some just don't have any and some folk actually seem to encourage this sort of behaviour and give them treats to encourage friendships.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 11:23 AM

How very odd, Susan, I would never treat my friends that way - it is really bad manners.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 12:10 PM

I am very wary of anyone suggesting 'let's have lunch together' after my wealthy boss did that .
Knowing we were all paying our own bills myself and the two other 'elderly poor' who were invited had soup, a roll and nothing to drink while our boss had steak with the trimmings and a couple of glasses of wine and pudding.

Instead of each of us paying separately as we anticipated the boss paid the bill and divided the total equally between the 4 of us
None of us three felt we could say anything without looking mean
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 12:31 PM

Myself and a group of friends regularly meet for nights out and we always divide the cost by the number of people present - but we all know that this is the case, and we always mention it in advance to anyone new who may join us. What happened to Susan is quite beyond the pale. I would be wary of accepting future invitations from that person.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

09-07-2015, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

Instead of each of us paying separately as we anticipated the boss paid the bill and divided the total equally between the 4 of us
It is so embarrassing when that happens, Meg.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I am very wary of anyone suggesting 'let's have lunch together' after my wealthy boss did that .
Knowing we were all paying our own bills myself and the two other 'elderly poor' who were invited had soup, a roll and nothing to drink while our boss had steak with the trimmings and a couple of glasses of wine and pudding.

Mean ? you would have heard my howling at him from here. That's plain not on !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top