Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2015, 10:09 PM

Re: have you inherited ?

Mine were tenants of the state, so there were no Financial connotations to consider.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2015, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Yes, suppose parents can hang around rather to long.
My mum was 82 Spitfire, my aunt was 84 and my OH's mum was 83 - so hardly young, but I agree that by missing a generation and passing any inheritance onto the young ones below, who can really make good use of it, is often a good way to use a family inheritance. I look upon inheritance as a family thing for sharing and something which can benefit all. I have a great deal of pleasure in seeing my children relatively secure and in decent housing with their own children. I couldn't see any of that good use of resources if they didn't get it until after I had popped my clogs. Like I say money is for using IMO.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2015, 03:23 PM

I have had 2 inheritances, one when my parents died and another from when my aunts died. First enabled us to buy a 4 bed house and the second to pay of the mortgage on the boarding kennels and house when we moved.

Did not want to waste these gifts so invested in property instead ,and that was the best thing we ever did.

Now we can live comfortably having retired and made yet another move without having to worry too much about paying the bills. So this is what we now own outright

It is exactly the size and stile I have always liked, so shan't be making any more moves, this being our 5th and final one
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2015, 09:54 AM

When my parents died there was very little left from the sale of their house to be shared between myself and two sisters as a lot of it paid for their care home fees. Dad always said he bought his house as an investment in case they ever needed to be looked after or for a "rainy day". Which is really what it was used for, he didn't expect the taxpayer to pay for his care when he could do it himself and neither did we. We were glad that both were looked after as both sisters lived overseas and I had a young child and disabilities so we couldn't have coped otherwise .
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2015, 10:49 AM

Mind you we could have done without the owner of the home turning up at Dad's funeral and handing us the bill!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2015, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Mind you we could have done without the owner of the home turning up at Dad's funeral and handing us the bill!
That is a shocking piece of bad behaviour, what an ignorant twat.

My husband is fond of quoting a very rich person (can't remember who, possibly Branson possibly not) who said if you have pots of money to give to your children...give them enough so that they can do what they want, but not so much that they don't have to do anything.

So, my question is this...would you give your kids enough money to buy a house, or only enough to pay the deposit?

That's if you had pots of the stuff in the first place!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2015, 11:24 AM

Personally if I had it I would give it while I was alive to enjoy seeing their lives improve, if I had to die to give it I think it depends on age of children, under 30 I would set something up to drip feed it to them over 30 they could have it all but if they make a mistake with it then I haven't done a very good job of teaching them the value earlier on.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

12-07-2015, 12:20 PM

Yes, I think I would too Julie. If you have a property and really want to give your children something, there's that equity release thing, then you can see them enjoy it.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2015, 12:28 PM

Ruthio if I could help my children buy a house I would. Sadly not in that position. My life was a struggle financially . I would like my children's life's to be more relaxed and not stressful and such hard work if I could. Why watch them struggle if you can help them .

Yes I would set them up for life given the chance

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top