Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 03:53 AM

To Shred or not To Shred?

How long do you keep your bills and statements etc?
I seem to have accumulated far to many but, never sure if I'll need them to refer to in the future.
What do you do?
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 04:00 AM

Re: To Shred or not To Shred?

I think the usual wisdom is three years, but I'm not so sure. Anything over say five years old we burn. The exception is life insurance and things that we might need a concrete copy of in the future.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by opheila ->
I think the usual wisdom is three years, but I'm not so sure. Anything over say five years old we burn. The exception is life insurance and things that we might need a concrete copy of in the future.
Me too, Opheila, only I shred rather than burn.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 07:35 AM

I keep mine for quite a few years then shred and put in
our recycling bin. We have now been told that we cant
put shredded paper into the recycling. I did question it
and its because its in all of hundreds of pieces and the
paper company that buy the paper from the council cant
pick up hundreds of pieces of paper and put it on their lorry
to take it away to their factory. So you learn something everyday.
So I always tear the name, address and account number off
of my bills and put that ripped up into the normal bin.
The rest then gets a rip and put into the recycling. Just hoping
I am doing it correctly
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 07:54 AM

We are still allowed to shred here - thank goodness.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 08:44 AM

I generally keep stuff for 5 years with a few exceptions and have files for everything which I check through around Christmas time each year removing the oldest stuff and the details of appliances which died that year.

Because I do this regularly there is never very much and as I don't have a shredded I rip it up my hand and put it in the kitchen bin. I don't want the recycling people having access to my person stuff even if it is in bits.
Marion
Norfolk
Marion is female  Marion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 08:51 AM

I have a small filing cabinet where I keep all my old bills etc. When it gets too full, I have a burning session.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 08:52 AM

I've got so little storage in my little bungalow, one cupboard containing the boiler so I'm going to have to tackle this sooner or later. I did put some in my compost bin but it grew fungi! Something to do while it's raining perhaps!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I've got so little storage in my little bungalow, one cupboard containing the boiler so I'm going to have to tackle this sooner or later. I did put some in my compost bin but it grew fungi! Something to do while it's raining perhaps!
Do you grow runner beans Twiz paper is very good as a moisture retainer at the bottom of the bean trench . I never have enough to make much difference.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 10:25 AM

My friend has promised I can use her incinerator (no room for me to have one), but I tear off name, address, account number etc., shred that information, the rest goes in recycling. I need to have another go at ever growing piles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top