Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 10:32 AM

Re: To Shred or not To Shred?

I don't have bonfires, so cross-shred anything personal, and anything with my name and address on.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 10:42 AM

I usually shred anything over 5 yrs old..
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
I keep mine for quite a few years then shred and put in
our recycling bin. We have now been told that we cant
put shredded paper into the recycling. I did question it
and its because its in all of hundreds of pieces and the
paper company that buy the paper from the council cant
pick up hundreds of pieces of paper and put it on their lorry
to take it away to their factory. So you learn something everyday.
So I always tear the name, address and account number off
of my bills and put that ripped up into the normal bin.
The rest then gets a rip and put into the recycling. Just hoping
I am doing it correctly
That's ridiculious Sandy, paper is paper and it's recyclable, it's not the peoples fault if the council have problems selling it on, why don't you shred it and put the shredded paper into a plastic bag then into the bin, no problem picking that out. God they are fussy over there ain't they?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 11:51 AM

Hoping to grow some next year Meg as I've just started growing veg now I can eat them, so I'll use your tip!
I did believe Tomorrow's World when they said years ago ago, that because of computers we'd have s paperless society! More fool me! Since I've had mine the amount of paper around me had grown and grown! It's not only printed matter I seem to hoard ! When I downsized two years ago I had so many life drawings from three years of college I had to tear up over a hundred, I ended up covered in charcoal! I couldn't very well put them in the recycle bin!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 04:26 PM

We keep for around 3/4 years then shred, it then goes into the paper/card/cardboard bag for recycling, as does daily stuff.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
I keep mine for quite a few years then shred and put in
our recycling bin. We have now been told that we cant
put shredded paper into the recycling. I did question it
and its because its in all of hundreds of pieces and the
paper company that buy the paper from the council cant
pick up hundreds of pieces of paper and put it on their lorry
to take it away to their factory. So you learn something everyday.
So I always tear the name, address and account number off
of my bills and put that ripped up into the normal bin.
The rest then gets a rip and put into the recycling. Just hoping
I am doing it correctly
I shred mine and we were also told by the council not to put shredded paper in the recycle bin as it clogs up there machines, I shred everything with our name and address as for Bank statements I was under the impression you had to keep these for at least 5 years.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Marj ->
I shred mine and we were also told by the council not to put shredded paper in the recycle bin as it clogs up there machines, I shred everything with our name and address as for Bank statements I was under the impression you had to keep these for at least 5 years.

Who says you HAVE to keep these for 5 years Marj?
I've never heard of that. I only keep mine for 12 months and then they're shredded.
If I did happen to need one that I'd shredded, I've only to go online and find it, then print another copy.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Who says you HAVE to keep these for 5 years Marj?
I've never heard of that. I only keep mine for 12 months and then they're shredded.
If I did happen to need one that I'd shredded, I've only to go online and find it, then print another copy.

No Idea lol I did say I was under the impression you had to keep them, but I suppose that was before computers.
I think it was my hubby saying he had to keep all his Tax returns for 5 years, dont know where he got it from maybe his accountant.

What I do know is I have been married for 42 years and I have every bill (Utilities) since the day I got married, now how daft is that
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 09:16 AM

In out business we filed and archived once a year and kept for 5 years, that habit won't die and we do the same at home. Then shred.
Strangely at my side now I have a bill dating back to 1964 for a camera I bought, why I can't answer that but it has turned up.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top