Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 12:39 PM

Ties!

What is it with our obsession with ties and our ridiculous rigid rules and dress codes?

I ranted during the heat wave when the poor linesmen and women at Wimbledon were wearing long sleeves collars and TIES in that sweltering heat, no wonder one fainted!

Then yesterday Lewis Hamilton rocked up to the Royal Box at Wimbledon looking gorgeous in a fabulously decorative floral shirt, but did they allow him in? No! Because he wasn't wearing a tie!!!

Men sitting in that box in the heat with red faces wearing jackets and TIES just looked plain ridiculous in my eyes.

I'm not saying they should wearing shorts and flip flops! But come on, why do we do "casual" so very badly?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 12:58 PM

Re: Ties!

I agree - should be casual wear, there's a time and place for ties and Wimbledon isn't the place for them - stupido !
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 01:01 PM

It is always nice to have traditions Ruthio but in the heat that we have had the last couple of days expecting someone to wear a shirt and tie is ludicrous. They can look just as good in casual attire.

I agreed with Wimbledon when they said that the players had to still wear white and not coloured clothing.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 01:13 PM

Agree with white at wimbledon but I always think a shirt and tie doesnt quite look right without a jacket and absolutly not in very hot weather or at casul events.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 01:17 PM

I like the traditions at Wimbledon and they have to stick with them otherwise they'll be turning up in jogging bottoms and trainers next !
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 01:20 PM

On good, not just me then, phew!

I do agree with the "white only" dress code for players, nothing wrong with that, and it looks lovely.

I've always had a loathing for ties ever since we had to wear the damn silly things at school. We used to fray the ends with compass point during boring lessons!

I suppose they are useful though, I mean they stop the neck from unravelling at the edges

If I were a labour party supporter I'd definitely vote for Jeremy Corbyn, he never wears a tie!
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 01:40 PM

Oh no, the ties have to stay, especially on politicians - if they don't do as they should, we can always tighten them !!!!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

13-07-2015, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Oh no, the ties have to stay, especially on politicians - if they don't do as they should, we can always tighten them !!!!
Well OK then but that's the only reason, so we can throttle them if needs be
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->

Smashing !
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 01:47 PM

I am in full agreement with you on that Ruthio, I think it's just a few stubborn old die hards on the committee hanging on to the "Oh we could never allow that here" tradition, and it won't change until these people eventually fade away. It's the same with the old Jockey's Club, no top hat no Royal Ascot, but things are slowly improving there thank God.
Look at the stupidity of the law courts, fully grown men and women wearing silly grey powdered wigs and long black cloaks, making the proceedings look more like a comedy than the serious business it really is, and in 2015! when will they cop on to themselves.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top