Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 01:57 PM

Re: Ties!

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I am in full agreement with you on that Ruthio, I think it's just a few stubborn old die hards on the committee hanging on to the "Oh we could never allow that here" tradition, and it won't change until these people eventually fade away. It's the same with the old Jockey's Club, no top hat no Royal Ascot, but things are slowly improving there thank God.
Look at the stupidity of the law courts, fully grown men and women wearing silly grey powdered wigs and long black cloaks, making the proceedings look more like a comedy than the serious business it really is, and in 2015! when will they cop on to themselves.
Ooo I agree Jem - those wigs need a good wash too
Steven with a V
Cardiff Valleys
Steven with a V is male 

13-07-2015, 02:06 PM

Many moons ago I had a friend who was a Gentleman member of Middlesex County Cricket Club which enabled him to use the Pavilion during cup matches.

I managed to join him on occasion, however; one rule of being "signed in" to the Pavilion was to wear a blazer and tie. Back then I sported long hair and would more likely be found wearing a motorcycle jacket and a t-shirt than a blazer.

I loved the pomp of it all! being able to use the members bar, standing in the long room drinking a pint, watching play and being within touching distance of Mike Gatting, Desmond Haynes et al as they walked by on their way to the crease.

Stuffy perhaps, however; it keeps out the riff raff, and isn't it great being English with such eccentric anachronistic practices still in play?
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 02:17 PM

I notice the Greek prime minister doesn't wear a tie. Also the former Greek finance minister.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
I notice the Greek prime minister doesn't wear a tie. Also the former Greek finance minister.
Some occasions warrant the wearing of a tie
He looks scruffy to me always hands in pockets - not a good look to represent your country
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 06:10 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33510550

This is fun to read!
I love the fact that Richard Branson won't tolerate the bloody things and cuts them off with scissors!
Probably untrue but I love his attitude
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Some occasions warrant the wearing of a tie
He looks scruffy to me always hands in pockets - not a good look to represent your country
Oh, Patsy, you should hear my OH on the Greek politicians not wearing ties. Every time he sees them it's 'Look at these two' ....... every time !!! 'Pair of scruffs' !!! Lol
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

13-07-2015, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Oh, Patsy, you should hear my OH on the Greek politicians not wearing ties. Every time he sees them it's 'Look at these two' ....... every time !!! 'Pair of scruffs' !!! Lol
He knows you know .........
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
He knows you know .........
Hmm, or thinks he does...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

13-07-2015, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Hmm, or thinks he does...
No on this occasion, he does
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 07:29 PM

But it's HOT in Greece!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top