Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2020, 12:07 AM

Re: Do You Hover When You Have Someone Doing Work In Your Home?

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
What makes you think that it's free?
Squeaker!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2020, 12:26 AM

I leave them to it,Art..offer a drink in between...
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2020, 07:27 AM

Being a tight arsed Yorkshireman, I always try no6, anything to reduce the bill...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2020, 07:29 AM

8, I've seen too many builder's bums to want to hover.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2020, 10:45 AM

No4 -Tell them how to do their job- is particularly annoying for trades. Some people think a quick Google makes them an expert in all things. I used to get people saying 'It's just an easy job, won't take you long' (trying to get it cheaper). Sometimes I would ask why they got me in if it was so easy.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2020, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Being a tight arsed Yorkshireman, I always try no6, anything to reduce the bill...
Has it ever worked?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2020, 11:34 AM

8 and 9, the price will have been negotiated before work even starts but if they meet a genuinely unexpected problem then I will be flexible.

Tho only other thing is we offer nosh. Not just a biscuit with a cuppa but also light meals if it's a longish job. We buy quite a lot of Oakland meals which are ready meals frozen (and actually very good) so it's no big deal to lob one into the micro.

We genuinely try to make life as easy and actually pleasant as we can for people who we get to work for us. It's paid dividends in terms of quality of workmanship.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2020, 11:44 AM

Usually I leave them alone to get on with whatever, but my computer man tries to explain to me what he is doing & I do sit beside him & listen, but he knows I have no idea what he is on about. He wouldn't take a drink, but my gardener did.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

16-07-2020, 02:41 PM

I have had BBQs, chicken soup, chinese food, sandwiches, cakes, biscuits, tea, coffee and Indian food. All very much appreciated although the later was sometimes seen as a reduction on the quote.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2020, 02:48 PM

If I have a big job to be done I make bacon butties and fresh percolated coffee for them .I do try not to hover as I feel I'm hindering them .

Most are appreciative of the butties and coffee and I find they do a good job for me .

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top