Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2020, 10:08 AM

Re: Do You Hover When You Have Someone Doing Work In Your Home?

I feel that i have to "hover" for a couple of reasons:-

1) To make sure someone is there if he/she has an accident.

2) I've known some who will want to discuss a different alternative, once the job is started, because doing it my way is going to cost more/cause more.

3) Oh yes, I said "a couple" - so stop here!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2020, 12:39 PM

To be honest Art, I go through the area where the tradesman is going to be working - with a fine toothcombe. The last one was the gasfitter in the kitchen. Even the mugs hanging on hooks and all the plates and jugs on my Welsh Dresser got a good wash so they would sparkle, even though they didn't need it.

The funniest was when we had the kitchen sash window replaced last year. When I knew he was coming to replace it, I was up on the stepladder for over 30 minutes cleaning the window and surrounds until they were spotless, even though it was being removed! I couldn't bear the thought that he would think badly of me because it might not have been as clean as his own standards believed it should have been.
HWMO thought I was mad, but that's the way I am.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2020, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
To be honest Art, I go through the area where the tradesman is going to be working - with a fine toothcombe. The last one was the gasfitter in the kitchen. Even the mugs hanging on hooks and all the plates and jugs on my Welsh Dresser got a good wash so they would sparkle, even though they didn't need it.

The funniest was when we had the kitchen sash window replaced last year. When I knew he was coming to replace it, I was up on the stepladder for over 30 minutes cleaning the window and surrounds until they were spotless, even though it was being removed! I couldn't bear the thought that he would think badly of me because it might not have been as clean as his own standards believed it should have been.
HWMO thought I was mad, but that's the way I am.

Not mad at all shroppy, Mrs p is exactly the same, as is her mum, and also her grandma was the same
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2020, 10:55 AM

The last plasterer we used, had his coffee in the van and drove off with our cup.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2020, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I can just imagine you swanking around, in your smalls!
Not a pretty sight - Mrs LD told me!
monkeypuzzle
United Kingdom
monkeypuzzle is female 

19-07-2020, 03:42 PM

I keep an eye on the job they are doing, but don't stand over them or engage them in pointless chit chat.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2020, 05:00 PM

Having had a job where people did often hover, I know that it can be a bit annoying. I therefore don't do it. Just have an occasional 'look in' to ask how things are going.

I once had an older lady touch my hair and then apologise.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 11:31 AM

Yes I know I would be out with the bleach and have a vacuum around before the cleaner arrived ..Duh im dizzy like that,

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top