Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2020, 11:11 AM

Re: Load of Cobblers

Part 2 of the op was "how much would you be willing to spend?"

If push came to shove then I might go up to £150 for a decent pair of walking boots (don't care who makes them!!) which would last me the rest of my life.

As for trainers - £40-£50 tops.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2020, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
The same could be said about ladies handbags.
Which brings us onto the subject of the "fake" marketplace. Have met people on holiday who will spend around £200 to buy a fake eg Jimmy Choo handbag which would cost maybe £600 for the real article, and probably just as hardwearing.

Why are labels and names so important to some people?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2020, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
True. In the temples of nothingness, nothing is worth something.

Have said it before, but when walking around places such as the Trafford Centre (the design of this also reminds one of religious buildings, with large dome roofs, gilt plasterwork, latin inscriptions and statues inside etc), one is automatically reminded of Temples. Apart from some food stores, there is nothing inside which one actually needs to survive. They truly are Temples of Nothingness, all paying homage to the god of money.
That also reminds me very much of the wealth gathered by those dictators who ruled in very poor countries. Take for example Saddam Hussein and his many palaces, so much wealth and self-indulgence. Yet there were millions of really poor people in that country trying to just scratch a living where they could.

The 'god' of money and 'greed' is responsible for many of the ills all over the world, IMO that is. Nice to have enough to live on comfortably and not worry about the next bill but some people just seem to have no idea of what that would be like without having to accuse almost 'obscene' wealth.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2020, 11:19 AM

True. In the temples of nothingness, nothing is worth something.

Have said it before, but when walking around places such as the Trafford Centre (the design of this also reminds one of religious buildings, with large dome roofs, gilt plasterwork ,
latin inscriptions and statues inside etc), one is automatically reminded of Temples. Apart from some food stores, there is nothing inside which one actually needs to survive. They truly are Temples of Nothingness, all paying homage to the god of money.
It certainly makes you think that 'Shopping' has been elevated to the status it now enjoys Dex. It amuses me while watching quiz shows when the contestants are asked what they would do with the winnings, and most of the women would go shopping, and buy more shoes, or jewelry, or clothes. They might want to go travelling, see the world, to find more shops.

Money seems to have no value these days, especially when you don't even handle any after it's spirited away like magic from your account in an instant. And you have no need to worry, when it's gone there are endless amounts to be had by using your credit card.

It's a far cry from the fifties when you were classed as well off if you could afford to put some meat on the table for Sunday dinner...
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2020, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It certainly makes you think that 'Shopping' has been elevated to the status it now enjoys Dex. It amuses me while watching quiz shows when the contestants are asked what they would do with the winnings, and most of the women would go shopping, and buy more shoes, or jewelry, or clothes. They might want to go travelling, see the world, to find more shops.

Money seems to have no value these days, especially when you don't even handle any after it's spirited away like magic from your account in an instant. And you have no need to worry, when it's gone there are endless amounts to be had by using your credit card.

It's a far cry from the fifties when you were classed as well off if you could afford to put some meat on the table for Sunday dinner...
Personally I believe you have to have lived with either very little or just enough to 'get by' in order to really appreciate what having enough to live comfortably on really means. In the years I grew up, just after the war, it was quite something to have parents who worked hard and did their best to see there was a roof over the family's head, enough food for three healthy meals a day and clothes for each child.

Today with all the modern technology and really spoiled children in that way the saying 'knowing the cost of everything but the value of nothing' springs to mind as being very true. Not everybody is like that I have to admit but it seems that what were real luxuries to me in those days are just items that are no more than something that is expected by some.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2020, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Westender ->
I'd cheerfully make the trip to Camden Town for a pair of Solovair boots!
More of a pilgrimage than retail therapy.

As for trainers... how much for a pair of Green Flash these days?

Cool

I like the look of these ...

https://www.nps-solovair.com/collect...32129924857936

https://www.nps-solovair.com/collect...28825777340480
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

18-07-2020, 11:32 AM

Thanks for your replies Baz and OGF. We all know that "wealth" is relative, but sometimes it does seem that the biscuit has been taken.

No doubt Todger will be along soon to point out the error of my thinking, but it seems to me that we all only have one real commodity which we are exchanging - Our time.

It's a mystery why some people's time appears to be valued so much more than someone else's, especially when they don't appear to actually use it for any real purpose.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2020, 11:34 AM

I just don't get what's so special about them that makes them £1000.
Gets you talked about, Dext, but I wouldn't want a lad. like that, to marry one of mine!

(They're all married off anyway )
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

18-07-2020, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Gets you talked about, Dext, but I wouldn't want a lad. like that, to marry one of mine!

(They're all married off anyway )
Indeed. The lad in question is about 20 and does a bit of singing and possibly modelling. Lives on an estate (and not some leafy suburb, not that that means much and I intend no insult to anyone!!), and not from a wealthy background. Doesn't deal drugs AFAIK.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2020, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
The same could be said about ladies handbags.
I've managed to stop myself from buying them now Scot.....Anyway, I've got enough different colours to go with all of my shoes.....

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top