Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2020, 09:19 PM

Re: Another stabbing

This figure hardly seems possible! How on earth has this managed to reach these proportions,
with 256 deaths out of the total of 683 deaths actually involving a knife or sharp object?

"There were 46,265 offences in the 12 months to the end of March this year,
up 6% from the previous year."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53443246
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2020, 10:38 PM

I'm afraid that the police are loath to use stop and search for obvious reasons of 'accusations' these days.

Once again, if there were a real deterrent to carrying knives and certainly using them, I feel there would be far fewer incidents of stabbings but, no, we live in such a nice easy-going country where criminals laugh at the police and the courts.

Will it ever change?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'm afraid that the police are loath to use stop and search for obvious reasons of 'accusations' these days.

Once again, if there were a real deterrent to carrying knives and certainly using them, I feel there would be far fewer incidents of stabbings but, no, we live in such a nice easy-going country where criminals laugh at the police and the courts.

Will it ever change?

Probably only for the worse, JBR.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 01:38 AM

Have said it before, but anyone who carries a knife (even those who claim it's for self protection) has, if push comes to shove, a clear intent to use it. There are no excuses for carrying one.

Anyone caught carrying one should be incarcerated for an automatic minimum of 5 years. They chose to do it, and they should be rewarded with the inexorable outcome that is attached to it.

It doesn't matter what colour, creed, age nor backgound anyone is, stop and search should be viewed as the norm and not a form of discrimination. This is what needs to be taught. Only then will the number of crimes decrease. Only then will those who claim they are carrying a knife for potential self protection be both less inclined to do so, not only for the automatic punishment that follows, but because they will also feel safer in the knowledge that a potential assailant will be less likely to carry and use a knife.

Any group that feels that they are being singled out disproportionately should be told to shut the eff up and to grow up.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Have said it before, but anyone who carries a knife (even those who claim it's for self protection) has, if push comes to shove, a clear intent to use it. There are no excuses for carrying one.

Anyone caught carrying one should be incarcerated for an automatic minimum of 5 years. They chose to do it, and they should be rewarded with the inexorable outcome that is attached to it.

It doesn't matter what colour, creed, age nor backgound anyone is, stop and search should be viewed as the norm and not a form of discrimination. This is what needs to be taught. Only then will the number of crimes decrease. Only then will those who claim they are carrying a knife for potential self protection be both less inclined to do so, not only for the automatic punishment that follows, but because they will also feel safer in the knowledge that a potential assailant will be less likely to carry and use a knife.

Any group that feels that they are being singled out disproportionately should be told to shut the eff up and to grow up.
I agree, but unfortunately the 'oppressed minorities' seem to have a stronger hand today, now that the police 'take the knee' whenever they see them!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 09:02 AM

Agree all this defence nonsense .
It funny how the people stabbed are usually defenceless .
This is very gang land culture now .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

20-07-2020, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Agree all this defence nonsense .
It funny how the people stabbed are usually defenceless .
This is very gang land culture now .
I couldn't care less if gangs want to stab each other.

It culls their numbers.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 09:59 AM

Society is descending into tribalism. I wonder why (as if).
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Society is descending into tribalism. I wonder why (as if).
I'd argue that it always has been about tribalism.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 10:55 AM

I'd argue that it always has been about tribalism.
I see a difference between society and tribe. Tribalism evolves into society as civilisation becomes established.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top