Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 11:04 AM

Re: Another stabbing

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I see a difference between society and tribe. Tribalism evolves into society as civilisation becomes established.
I see societies a conglomeration of multiple tribes who agree to abide by the same set of rules and values, to create a larger tribe.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
I see societies a conglomeration of multiple tribes who agree to abide by the same set of rules and values, to create a larger tribe.
Part of the evolving process to create a society? The etymology of "society" is Latin for friend.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 11:23 AM

Part of the evolving process to create a society? The etymology of "society" is Latin for friend.
Let's not play with etymology on this one, eh?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 11:34 AM

Let's not play with etymology on this one, eh?
OK but I do find that looking into the roots of words helps focus on subjects at times.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

20-07-2020, 11:42 AM

OK but I do find that looking into the roots of words helps focus on subjects at times.
Agreed. But language evolves. We are agreed in principle of what a society entails (I think?), and the dangers/prooblems of subsets within them, especially when they demand greater import than is necessary or beneficial to the whole.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

20-07-2020, 12:01 PM

Agreed. But language evolves. We are agreed in principle of what a society entails (I think?), and the dangers/prooblems of subsets within them, especially when they demand greater import than is necessary or beneficial to the whole.
Oh ain't that the truth! IMO the very worst case is the meaning of racism. By todays twisted corruption I'm red in tooth and claw. (Like I care). Then there's the now forbidden vocabulary. The silly thing is in the attempt to offend nobody is having the effect of increasing the number of people who are offended by this nonsense.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

20-07-2020, 12:11 PM

Oh ain't that the truth! IMO the very worst case is the meaning of racism. By todays twisted corruption I'm red in tooth and claw. (Like I care). Then there's the now forbidden vocabulary. The silly thing is in the attempt to offend nobody is having the effect of increasing the number of people who are offended by this nonsense.
Can't see anything there to argue with. We can only finess points for clarity, if needs be. Which there isn't.

In the clash between ying and yang, thesis and antithesis, ego and id, call it what you may, the BLM movement is of no value in terms of moving towards a greater good and improved social harmony. On the contrary, it does the opposite.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 12:13 PM

Oh, that's OK, as long as it is the indigenous white people who are offended.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

20-07-2020, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Oh, that's OK, as long as it is the indigenous white people who are offended.
TBH, can't even be bothered to trot out the usual tangential disruptor of "what does indigenous mean"
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 12:28 PM

Its a bit like the western times when all the young ones carried guns and thought nothing of killing another . Why is it these days a lot of people have no regard for human life? It seems we are going backwards and becoming uncivilised.

Never in a million years would it ever enter my head to carry a knife or any weapon, I don't ever recall anyone being stabbed or shot when I was a teenager, back in my day they fought with their fists to settle a score. I do however remember a woman glassing someone but it was rare to see or hear about anything like that.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top