Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 05:49 PM

Re: It's Not Natural....

I find double yolkers sometimes in a box of Tesco extra large free range eggs.
When we were able to go out, a stall at our regular car boot sale sold boxes of free range double yolk eggs. Guaranteed to be in all & they were & very fresh eggs too.
I do miss buying them.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Did you buy them at Morrisons?

IIRC, it was Somerfield.

I went back for more but they turned out to be just large single-yolkers .....
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 08:51 PM

One farm locally sells their eggs to the locals in a small shed adjacent to the Village Hall. You have a choice - single yolkers or double yolkers - but there is a price difference.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 09:44 PM

[QUOTE=AnnieS;2037666]This is the first time I have ever heard of this and I have never cracked open or eaten one.

Just looking into this it seems that only hens less than a year old lay such eggs. Morrisons were selling them a couple of years ago but they were checking every egg under a UV lamp to select the double ones. So Rightnow perhaps in the US they are no longer using Spring chickens!

As I have never seen this in my lifetime I assume that here they either screen them or use mature chickens to lay.

Does it mean twice the cholesterol?[/QUOTE]

Only a very small amount of cholesterol comes from the food we eat Annie. About 80% is made in the liver.

Where is cholesterol made?
Some of our cholesterol comes from the food we eat, but most (about 80%) is made in the liver in a complex 37-step process.

Cholesterol and another type of blood fat called triglycerides cannot circulate loosely in the blood, so the liver packages them into “parcels” called lipoproteins.

The lipoproteins are then released into the blood and carried around the body to wherever they're needed.

How is it broken down?
Once in the blood stream, some cholesterol will be returned to the liver and broken down. It’s used to make bile acids which are released into the intestines to help with digestion – bile acids break down the fats in food.

A small amount of bile acids will be removed from the body as a waste product in your poo. But most will be absorbed back into the blood, returned to the liver and used again for digestion.

Some treatments for high cholesterol work by stopping bile from being absorbed back into the blood. The liver has to take more cholesterol out of the blood to make more bile, lowering your cholesterol levels.

The short time that I was taking statins I was experiencing excess acid and trouble digesting fatty foods. Cholesterol also important for the assimilation of vitamin D, which in turn keeps your immune system healthy.

Nutritionist Munmun Ganeriwal explains in one of her IGTVs, "You should have the complete egg with the yolk. The egg yolk what we think is full of cholesterol is an excellent source of phosphor lipids. These are bioactive lipids or fats which have a beneficial effect on cholesterol metabolism. It also has beneficial effect on inflammation and HDL (good cholesterol) function."

Research has also highlighted that eating eggs does not negatively impact your cholesterol levels. Eggs are also a rich source of essential nutrients. These are power-packed with protein, B vitamins, iron, healthy fats, vitamin A and much more.

Cholesterol plays a vital role in how your body works. There is cholesterol in every cell in your body, and it's especially important in your brain, nerves and skin.

Cholesterol has three main jobs:

It’s part of the outer layer, or membrane, of all your body’s cells
It’s used to make vitamin D and steroid hormones

Cholesterol is not the bad boy it's made out to be......
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 09:50 PM

In SA, I’ve only ever found one double yolk. What do you feed your Roosters up North
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 10:44 PM

We don't have any special bins for double yolkers, it's all random when we buy small, medium large or x large eggs.

It must not be too special then if you know you've purchased them. Kinda takes the fun out of it. Guess I'll keep looking when I crack an egg open.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
has anyone else noticed that since this isolation period with Covid there are no more double yolkers in eggs?
I don't think I've ever had a double yolker, but I once had an egg with a double white, which I have heard are much rarer.

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
It's considered good luck
I found a four leaf clover in a free range egg, and although I am not at all superstitious, I couldn't help but see it as a good omen. I was made redundant at work the very next day, and concluded that the egg must have been meant for someone else. I don't have a good track record with eggs.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I once found 6 double-yolkers in a 6-pack .....

What are the chances, I wondered .....

1 in a billion ..... 1 in a trillion .....

So I asked a farming friend how rare such an occurrence would be ..... I was disappointed to find that, although finding a single double-yolker in a 6-pack is quite rare, finding 6 in a 6-pack is statistically more likely if the eggs come from the same flock of chickens and the chickens are young - the eggs would normally be small but double-yolkers are larger than single yolkers so egg-packers separate them off for boxing.

I checked the internet and she was right:

What are the chances of six double-yolkers?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16118149

..... and I really enjoyed the egg-yolk "bounty" .....
Just as long as you did not find the double yolkers on a six pack.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
I don't think I've ever had a double yolker, but I once had an egg with a double white, which I have heard are much rarer.

I found a four leaf clover in a free range egg, and although I am not at all superstitious, I couldn't help but see it as a good omen. I was made redundant at work the very next day, and concluded that the egg must have been meant for someone else. I don't have a good track record with eggs.
I have never had a double white, Harbal, so you must be luckier than me.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->

Me thinks there’s a special thread dedicated to your all the eggs you’ve ever had!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top