Join for free
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 11:46 PM

Re: Does The ‘Council House Mentality’ Still Exist?

Pseudo middle class folks from what I can see Mups, they make the step up but don't want the neighbours (from the same ilk) to smell the kippers.
Many folks are living fallacies.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Pseudo middle class folks from what I can see Mups, they make the step up but don't want the neighbours (from the same ilk) to smell the kippers.
Many folks are living fallacies.

Ahem.... l cook kippers now and again.... what are you insinerating (said like Hylda Baker)
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 12:10 AM

Do you have Blinds or Curtains?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Do you have Blinds or Curtains?
It doesn’t matter, l don’t need them, l have no neighbours!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 12:55 AM

When I was a teenager I lived in an old house up a Coronation style street.

I very much envied my friend who lived in a nice new modern council house..
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

24-02-2021, 01:21 AM

When we first came to live in England, the rented cottage we lived in had a ‘Demolition Order’ served on it and we were moved into a council house.
We lived there for about four years and my mother used the money from an insurance policy on my life when l was 15, to put a deposit on a new house that was Ł3,500. Being a legal secretary, she did all the conveyancing herself and her solicitor boss did the rest at no charge. So that helped an awful lot.

When people we knew from the council estate found out we were moving to the new house, they would say things like, ‘I hear you’re moving to the snob area, will you still speak to us?’
Then they would push their nose up with a finger.

If l see any of them now from all those years ago, they will still bring it up about our family moving from the estate to the ‘snob area’.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 09:09 AM

I lived in a council house for many years, I would class myself as a down to earth type of woman, I found “ me” quite some years ago......I refuse to fit into ,how some people think I should behave, Pauline!!!....how could you say that or act like that.......” I just did”.....😂🤣😅.....as long as I don’t deliberately hurt others ,why not......I am the least perfect person and wouldn’t want to be.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 11:24 AM

I think that it is a common requirement, for us Brits, to put everyone into "Groups", so that we can do these sorts of collective insults.

These groups can be based on where you live, where you work, what colour your skin is, how you arrive here, you name it!

When my late sister was in her career at Trafford Borough Council, way back when, she once suggested they had group names like Chavs (Council House Average), etc.

Maybe she was joking, but I think the police had, & maybe still do have, codes for all sorts of people.

Porbably, they would all deny that now!

signed, Wasp!

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 11:34 AM

To me, council estates are much like anywhere else in the way that there are good and bad people living there.

There is a notorious estate in the next town to me though, where I would not dare go after dark.
They say even in daylight you are lucky to find the wheels still on your car if you park for long.
Loads of crime goes on there, it's always in the local papers.

Having said that, some of the poshest houses have gangsters living there too, that's how they can afford to!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Having said that, some of the poshest houses have gangsters living there too, that's how they can afford to!
There is a council estate up the road from me - lovely place, mostly well kept and clean. However, round the corner from that, there are several run down house, broken windows, fridges and sofas in the garden etc.....but there's a Mercedes parked outside, and a Porsche, further along.... I really don't know what to make of that?

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top