Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 10:38 AM

Re: Experience or education ?

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Experience every time. I have come across so many University people with degrees that don't have a clue about the job. Example A female level 4 manager with BT walked into the stores with a bag of tools that were gas fitters tools so found in an enclosed area on the street. or another that walked across a grass verge and walked dogs mess into a persons carpeted hallway.

You have to know the job via hands on to be able to do it.
I would ask exactly which degrees those people have.

There are degrees and there are Mickey Mouse degrees which, generally, are pretty worthless other than to the universities handing them out for the money they receive from student loans!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 10:43 AM

[QUOTE=JBR;2048260

There are degrees and there are Mickey Mouse degrees which, generally, are pretty worthless other than to the universities handing them out for the money they receive from student loans![/QUOTE]

You sound like my son...

He has a degree in business administration...” he” doesn’t class it as a Micky mouse degree..
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 10:56 AM

You must have a degree ,for certain jobs.....you need an academic brain...

Unfortunately...I don’t have an academic brain....I wish I did at times....

As i struggle understanding academics ...it can get very frustrating.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 11:13 AM

I don't think that it matters, much, where the candidate got his/her skills from.

I'd rather know how well they can do the job.

Usually, for someone coming to maintain the plumbing, electrics, or whatever, can be checked over by heeding the recommendations of previous users.

Same with employment.

A candidate for a job needs to be properly cross examined, with lie detectors (usually Human Resources Staff) in there to listen.

"tell us about your last job - and why you left"

Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
But you also have to have head knowledge....so both are needed.
I agree with that. Not only knowledge and experience but the need to continue with that knowledge and experience. It's not a one shot deal after you graduate.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 05:14 PM

Education is driven on experience; experience can't be passed on without it. Without education, we'd be having to re-invent the wheel with every generation of workers.

Experience reduces the errors in vivo that come from theory in situ. I want my brain surgeon to be fresh from a bookish education with a seasoned surgeon at his side.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Education is driven on experience; experience can't be passed on without it. Without education, we'd be having to re-invent the wheel with every generation of workers.

Experience reduces the errors in vivo that come from theory in situ. I want my brain surgeon to be fresh from a bookish education with a seasoned surgeon at his side.
I agree, of course, but there's education and education.

Book learning is a precursor to real hands-on experience, but can never replace it.

Practical education by example and by supervised practice is both very effective and essential.
Let's not forget that apprenticeships taught skills for many centuries to people who couldn't even read books!

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top