Join for free
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 02:52 AM

£2,607,767.67 spent on new Downing Street media briefing room

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56295191

No 10 plans to start televised daily press conferences, like those held at the White House - to be fronted by spokeswoman Allegra Stratton.

An advert for her taxpayer-funded role said the salary would be based on experience, but reports suggested pay would be around £100,000 a year.

The Cabinet Office said the "spending is in the public interest" as it will "increase public accountability and transparency."

Labour said it reflected "Boris Johnson's warped priorities".

"This will necessarily require one-off capital works, including audio-visual equipment, internet infrastructure, electrical works and lighting," a spokesperson said.

The new briefings were expected to begin in the autumn, but have been delayed because of the pandemic.
Why BJ needs a "frontwoman" is open to question but the update to electronic communication facilities is obviously necessary (vis Cummings in the garden).

But ..... given the "golden wallpaper" revelation, the PPE "corruption" disclosures, Tory "crony" contracts and public sector pay freezes and disputes, the news of the allocation of several million pounds of public money on another BJ "personal" project at No 10 is hardly likely to be seen as justifiable .....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 11:34 AM

Re: £2,607,767.67 spent on new Downing Street media briefing room

Not keen on the Tory's then Omah?
At least they haven't taken us into an illegal war or bankrupt the country yet.... Mind you, the jury's still out on the bankrupt thing....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 11:45 AM

So what? These essential things cost money.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 11:54 AM

To me there is something unedifying about those who complain about every penny others spend particularly when the full details may not be obvious.
It's the same with those who complain about that which others own or earn, I don't care.

For most of my 72 years I have owned very little and there have been times when I have not had enough to eat, clothes to wear or a roof over my head but I envy no one, money and possessions have always been of little importance to me.

It must be awful to go through life thinking only of those things you don't have instead of appreciation the things you do have .
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Not keen on the Tory's then Omah?
At least they haven't taken us into an illegal war or bankrupt the country yet.... Mind you, the jury's still out on the bankrupt thing....
IIRC, last year put the UK in the red by £265,000,000,000 and this year's borrowing forecast is £355,000,000,000 -

Rishi Sunak has said that it will take "the work of many years, decades and governments" to pay back the money spent on the supporting the economy during the pandemic.

Speaking on BBC Breakfast, he was pushed on whether his Budget measures were enough to tackle the current £407,000,000,00 bill.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
IIRC, last year put the UK in the red by £265,000,000,000 and this year's borrowing forecast is £355,000,000,000 -

Rishi Sunak has said that it will take "the work of many years, decades and governments" to pay back the money spent on the supporting the economy during the pandemic.

Speaking on BBC Breakfast, he was pushed on whether his Budget measures were enough to tackle the current £407,000,000,00 bill.
Err --- there's a thing called a pandemic still in full spate. WHAT THE MUSTARD AND CRESS DO YOU EXPECT?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

06-03-2021, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
To me there is something unedifying about those who complain about every penny others spend particularly when the full details may not be obvious.
It's the same with those who complain about that which others own or earn, I don't care.

For most of my 72 years I have owned very little and there have been times when I have not had enough to eat, clothes to wear or a roof over my head but I envy no one, money and possessions have always been of little importance to me.

It must be awful to go through life thinking only of those things you don't have instead of appreciation the things you do have .
Your taxes, and mine, are funding these refurbishments - it's not about possessions - my issues with BJ's expenditure concern morals and social responsibility, both of which the Tory "leadership" seem to be lacking .....
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

To me Meg, there is something unedifying about someone who
spends £3,000 on a tiny bottle of scent?? ( example only !)
Etc,etc !!

Donkeyman! 👎🤔🤔👎
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

06-03-2021, 12:14 PM

Downing Street accused of pursuing 'vanity project' after spending £2.6m on media briefing studio

https://news.sky.com/story/downing-s...tudio-12236960

The cost of the overhaul of 9 Downing Street was revealed in response to a Freedom of Information (FoI) request by the PA news agency.

The FoI response was delayed by several weeks as officials decided whether the disclosure was in the public interest, according to PA.
So, yet again, expenditure of public funds was going to kept from the public .....

Opposition MPs seized on the revelation of the cost of the renovations to accuse the government of pursuing a "vanity project" at the same time as ministers are under pressure over pay for NHS staff.

On the cost of the new studio at Number 9, Labour deputy leader Angela Rayner said: "It would take around 100 years for a newly qualified nurse to get paid this kind of money. It sums up Boris Johnson's warped priorities that he can find millions for vanity projects, while picking the pockets of NHS workers."

Liberal Democrat deputy leader Daisy Cooper said: "This is nothing more than an expensive vanity project and is just more evidence that this government's priority is spin, not substance. The prime minister himself said that he 'owed his life' to COVID doctors and nurses but now he's happy to see frontline nurses take a real-terms pay cut, whilst he gets a flashy new TV studio - the prime minister should hang his head in shame."
Well said .....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
To me Meg, there is something unedifying about someone who
spends £3,000 on a tiny bottle of scent?? ( example only !)
Etc,etc !!

Donkeyman! 👎🤔🤔👎
DM if they have the money and wish to spend it on that, it is their choice even if it would not be mine .

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top