Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 05:37 PM

Re: What is going wrong with some police lately?

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
"A probationary police officer who assaulted a woman in a "terrifying" attack has been given a curfew, prompting criticism he was not jailed."

"West Midlands Police PC Oliver Banfield grabbed and manhandled Emma Homer last July while drunk. He has been suspended and faces disciplinary action."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-56459217
I saw a video of the attack on the local news last night. Yer man was so drunk, he could barely stand up. I hope the force sacks him for this.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Xandra ->
Was that the one near Hurn Susan m? If so it needed to be increased

I don't think they have got worse lately just that with the Internet and people able to video incidents on their phones we just get to hear about more.
Previously it was much easier to keep things hidden.
It was a country pub car park somewhere near Poole , so tragic . All so young with young kids too

Edited

Just read in paper it was West Parley The Horns Inn and his sentence is now 13 yrs
reg
Manchester
reg is male  reg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Apparently, it's not unusual to conceal drugs, etc., in strange places.

Finding those drugs might lead to complaints, from the suspect?

A useful defence?

This is why searches have to be carried out by same sex officers.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 08:13 PM

"A police officer who pretended his brother had terminal cancer so he could get time off work has been found guilty of gross misconduct."

"When former PC Callum McIntyre transferred to a new unit in the Metropolitan Police in March 2019 he told his sergeant that his brother had terminal cancer.

Over the course of the next three months, McIntyre was granted 30 days' compassionate leave in order to support his brother."

https://news.sky.com/story/police-of...-work-12247364

We are told the police can only do their job with the cooperation of the public. This is how it's always been. However, with what we are seeing reported on these 'bad apples' in the 'police barrel' this I believe is fast-becoming a questionable expectation IMO.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 09:21 PM

Might be the effects of hurried recruitment and selection.

Retaining officers because of stress related conditions, with insufficient support to deal with problems before they manifest as serious complication, or worse.
Sage
U. S.
Sage is female  Sage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 10:31 PM

Police are just regular folks like the rest of us. They will exhibit the same kinds of dysfunctions.
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Sage ->
Police are just regular folks like the rest of us. They will exhibit the same kinds of dysfunctions.
Not quite in my opinion, don't overlook their training as this can give them an inflated sense of 'superiority'. If there is a 'flaw' in their psychology due to this then they could take advantage and do just what they wish. They may, as you state, have the same dysfunctions as us regular folks but these could be far worse for the reasons I have stated.

Not sure about the US, I know nothing about your country, but there will probably be similar training which could possibly result in similar behaviours.
Baz46

21-03-2021, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
18 months ago in this area a local policeman killed his lover, she sent a message to his wife saying they were having an affair and there was a fight apparently he strangled her, he was well liked by friends and had two children, so tragic, he lost it as did she emotions took over and moments of madness and ended both lives and their families destroyed. He got 7 years but last night on the local news it said 3 more years have been added.

Awful awful one would think as a serving officer common sense would have kicked in but I guess humans do bad things and lose absolute control.
This thread was started after another I started about the increase in the jail term that you mention in your post. Information I found showed the original sentence of ten-and-a-half years was increased to thirteen-and-a-half years for what was a horrendous crime. In my opinion that is not long enough when it's reckoned probably just half of that will be years actually served.

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=73896

That aside though, his occupation could have made dealing with what happened with him far worse. As you say you would expect common sense to have been used, it possibly would have been for anyone else but he was perhaps used to people obeying him.

Most of us will never have undergone typical police training so would probably react differently. Police are trained to enforce in certain situations, if someone does not do as ordered then they are made to do so. That is obviously no excuse though, in the eyes of the law he should be treated exactly the same for his crime, as any of us would be.

If he does have some psychological 'flaw' though, however slight, then emotions which are controlled by chemicals in the the brain, added to police training, could well have been totally out of control with the results as happened.

Whatever the occupation and that is all it is, a job of work, for me that would not necessarily be any guarantee of the type of personality. As much as we probably all would like to believe that ‘police are there to help’ to be fact, with some police that is obviously not always the case.

I feel so sorry for his children, how on earth are they ever going to deal with the emotional turmoil all this may possibly leave them with?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Might be the effects of hurried recruitment and selection.

Retaining officers because of stress related conditions, with insufficient support to deal with problems before they manifest as serious complication, or worse.
I don’t know about that there is a record of Police misconduct going back years .
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 12:23 PM

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...ion-in-britain

Dated 2015

This rise in corruption and the apparent reluctance of police chiefs to fight it is a toxic combination. As ever, chief constables blame lack of resources for not being able to pursue inquiries into claims of malpractice. But what could be a greater priority than ensuring that their own officers are not breaking the law? These same police chiefs seem to find endless funds to pursue ancient sex abuse allegations, chase people who say unpleasant things on Twitter and prosecute journalists.

Who police the police?

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top