Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 03:56 PM

Re: Disposables

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Thankfully our bungalow was built ca.1935.
The sandstone flats I live in were re-renovated 20 years ago, and are now showing signs of wear and tear - cracks along the facings, internal fixings requiring renewal, etc. Nothing is being done about it, because the HA are busy building new ones elsewhere to get the money in. There will come a point in the future, no doubt, where we will all get decanted somewhere else. Sounds bad - its not really, its still quite nice, but if I had a mortgaged property, I would have upgraded the bathroom and kitchen by now!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Pauline, l can see where Longy easily made the mistake. The thread title was a typical ‘Spitfire one word title’.

Wait..... or did Longy know all along and was just being jokey?

Anyway, l better get back to the subject of the thread.

Don’t we now live in a ‘disposable’ society? Nothing is built to last. We just throw away and replace just for the sake of convenience.

Aren’t we a more intelligent race now with brilliant, progressive and futuristic minded people inventing or improving products every second?

As for buildings, l think they should be built to last not be a temporary place to be knocked down and replaced with another temporary building. That takes up too much time and time is precious.

Yes, and there is something glorious, a pleasure to behold, in a building that is well-designed, crafted with care, and reflects the tastes of the culture at a certain point in time, passed down from one generation to the next.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Spitty?

Spec savers mate!.....😂🤣😅
Oops! Sorry Ducks.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Oops! Sorry Ducks.
Long since forgiven

Anyway, having walked past some new house developments, I find the foundations to look particularly unsubstantial. Am not an engineer, but can't imagine anything built on them lasting particularly long.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
But why? Take the electric lightbulb. Typical life is around 1500 hours.
Used to be but 10,000-50,000 hours is more typical these days.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Used to be but 10,000-50,000 hours is more typical these days.
Is that also true for LED's?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Is that also true for LED's?
Specifically for LEDs. Most of the lights in our house are LED and some are GU10s.
Our LEDs are much much brighter, last longer, and have much lower energy savings that the old incandescent bulbs.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

02-04-2021, 08:32 PM

Specifically for LEDs. Most of the lights in our house are LED and some are GU10s.
Our LEDs are much much brighter, last longer, and have much lower energy savings that the old incandescent bulbs.
Thanks. Strange that they're only used for home lighting fairly recently, since I remember using them donkeys years ago when I used to knock things together from an electronics magazine.

Incidentally, had to do this supervised since I'm red/green colour blind and couldn't see the rings around resistors.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

02-04-2021, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Thanks. Strange that they're only used for home lighting fairly recently, since I remember using them donkeys years ago when I used to knock things together from an electronics magazine.

Incidentally, had to do this supervised since I'm red/green colour blind and couldn't see the rings around resistors.
Yes, that would be a bit of a pain. A little tale. You probably know that my expertise is/was in industrial power electronics - mainly large variable speed drives. We were negotiating a couple of large units for a cement mill. Our customer had various requirements, some extensive and some fairly trivial. One of them was the control indicators. He wanted LED units. This was in 1992 so not so common. To date there has not a single failure to my knowledge.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

02-04-2021, 09:12 PM

Yes, that would be a bit of a pain. A little tale. You probably know that my expertise is/was in industrial power electronics - mainly large variable speed drives. We were negotiating a couple of large units for a cement mill. Our customer had various requirements, some extensive and some fairly trivial. One of them was the control indicators. He wanted LED units. This was in 1992 so not so common. To date there has not a single failure to my knowledge.
Pretty good going. Nigh on 30 years.

My old fella used to fix TVs and wanted me to learn electronics as a useful lifeskill. But colour blindness made this unfeasable. Real pity.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top