Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2021, 03:06 PM

Just what warms you up against the British weather.

When I was a younger man I never was one for wearing to many clothes a shirt or t/shirt would be ample for my top half jeans or shorts would be bottom half and a pair of trainers no socks required.
But now I am older and it never seems like I have enough clothes on to keep me warm and boy are they an hinderance whilst trying to work and they never seem to warm my fingers and who needs a ruddy scarf dangling around ones neck and into the paint pot or the freshly whipped up bit of cement.

So I am asking just what is it that keeps you warm when out there battling with the elements whilst you are trying to do outdoor odd jobs. Especially these days when the weather is all over the place.

Only last week I said yes to myself the summer weather is on its way I was out in the back garden moving pots and painting fences and sawing wood, life was just great.
Now I am back behind glass looking out wondering why my body cannot except the cold change like it used to or why I cannot do it still like others.

Am I eating the wrong foods.?
I cannot drink alcohol perhaps I should start up again a drop of scotch would not harm I am sure, but I do not think my gp would be pleased. Although I have not seen her for over a year due to this ruddy virus.
So please give an old soldier a few tips I am only 67 but feel like 97 some days.
Admitted the lungs are a problem but what else can I do.?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2021, 03:15 PM

Re: Just what warms you up against the British weather.

Hi, LF. Feeling colder is indeed common as we get older - loss of fat layer under the skin, less efficient veins and heart, and slowing metabolism. I am every fussing about being chilly after years of spending hours in the chilly sea and cold climates.

Like you, I avoided coats, hats, scarves or anything that made me feel bulky in my youth.

When it's really cold, I opt for a base layer. The fabrics are so much lighter than they used to be. I find hats an irritant, always falling off when I am working outdoors. I also wear a very light jacket that is either a windbreaker or very lightweight down so as not to add weight or bulk.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2021, 03:20 PM

Get some thermals and some fingerless gloves , layers are the answer
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2021, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Definitely.
longfellow
Chatterbox
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2021, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Hi, LF. Feeling colder is indeed common as we get older - loss of fat layer under the skin, less efficient veins and heart, and slowing metabolism. I am every fussing about being chilly after years of spending hours in the chilly sea and cold climates.

Like you, I avoided coats, hats, scarves or anything that made me feel bulky in my youth.

When it's really cold, I opt for a base layer. The fabrics are so much lighter than they used to be. I find hats an irritant, always falling off when I am working outdoors. I also wear a very light jacket that is either a windbreaker or very lightweight down so as not to add weight or bulk.
Thanks Surfermom I will take note thinner/thermal clothes. I wonder if they do thermal nose warmers.
Also I have to wear a woolie hat these days on account of my Bruce Willis hair style.
longfellow
Chatterbox

03-04-2021, 03:25 PM

Point taken P1
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2021, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
When I was a younger man I never was one for wearing too many clothes a shirt or t/shirt would be ample for my top half jeans or shorts would be bottom half and a pair of trainers no socks required.

But now I am older and it never seems like I have enough clothes on to keep me warm …

– Snip –
Tell me about it, I am the same and find it so annoying. Since having a problem with high blood pressure and subsequently a heart attack some 12 years' ago, I reckon the supply of blood in my system no longer works as efficiently. All I do is ensure I have all the meals as I should, including porridge for breakfast, one hot meal during the day and enough hot drinks. When it's really cold this affects my breathing, I have to be careful so stay indoors in the warm. On warmer days I get outside and do the tasks not done when the colder weather prevented this. Other than that there's very little can be done about it, unless of course someone comes up with a 'youth tablet' to make me younger!

Get some thermals and some fingerless gloves, layers are the answer.
Yes, that I have found is the best way to beat the cold as much as possible. When much younger, in my late teens / early twenties, I used to ride motorcycles and to keep warm on those it was lots of layers of clothing, which seemed to work.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2021, 03:42 PM

LF when I was a girl mum would say "wear a vest" I was horrified , never in a million years i would say . I could go out in the coldest night wearing a flimsy dress under a cheap coat and wait ages for a bus shivering but I never wore a vest until ......
5 years ago I was always cold and really suffered I decided to wear a vest omg I felt better and warmer , not those heavy cotton white vest things but a sort of cotton thin strap vest so I could still feel feminine. .

Now I always wear a vest and only in the summer do I put my vests away until Autumn .

P.S. I've even taken to wearing bed socks when it's cold because I have the coldest feet ever!

Yep I'm definately an ole girl now

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2021, 03:45 PM

Hi Longfellow I agree lots of layers that trap air in is the way to go.
During winter lockdown when I don't see anyone most of the time I have 3 layers, on the top half I have a cotton shirt then 2 woollen jumpers, on the bottom pants, thermal legging, jeans and socks .

The thermal leggings from M&S have been a godsend because my legs are always freezing cold due to my medication.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2021, 03:57 PM

Oh I love layers too - and a woolly hat! Good boots and good gloves keeps the extremities warm as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top