Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2021, 04:07 PM

Re: Just what warms you up against the British weather.

OMG so that's a vest (not thick cotton)
3 layers on the top half, vest/shirt and jumper, all thermal.
Pants, M&S thermal leggings/jeans and "woolly" socks I presume.
Plus not forgetting the fingerless gloves and more thermal layers.
Think I am gonna need the missus to roll me around all day the way this is going.

Right has anybody got any idea's on food that keeps your body warm, now my appetite is returning after a couple of months of sickness I could appreciate any tips on what to start cooking.

No good asking the missus she is kind of a chicken and chips sorta girl.
Which was always great when we were younger but these days no so great for warm meals.
Hence why I took over the kitchen years ago when I retired.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2021, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
OMG so that's a vest (not thick cotton)
3 layers on the top half, vest/shirt and jumper, all thermal.
Pants, M&S thermal leggings/jeans and "woolly" socks I presume.
Plus not forgetting the fingerless gloves and more thermal layers.
Think I am gonna need the missus to roll me around all day the way this is going.

Right has anybody got any idea's on food that keeps your body warm, now my appetite is returning after a couple of months of sickness I could appreciate any tips on what to start cooking.

No good asking the missus she is kind of a chicken and chips sorta girl.
Which was always great when we were younger but these days no so great for warm meals.
Hence why I took over the kitchen years ago when I retired.
The original 'Michelin Man' by the sound of that then!

My choice of porridge for breakfast was to combat problems with high cholesterol but it is also reckoned to be good against the cold, ask anyone in Scotland and you probably know it's usually much colder there than 'down south'.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2021, 04:20 PM

When I was a younger man I never was one for wearing to many clothes a shirt or t/shirt would be ample for my top half jeans or shorts would be bottom half and a pair of trainers no socks required.
But now I am older and it never seems like I have enough clothes on to keep me warm and boy are they an hinderance whilst trying to work and they never seem to warm my fingers and who needs a ruddy scarf dangling around ones neck and into the paint pot or the freshly whipped up bit of cement.

So I am asking just what is it that keeps you warm when out there battling with the elements whilst you are trying to do outdoor odd jobs. Especially these days when the weather is all over the place.

Only last week I said yes to myself the summer weather is on its way I was out in the back garden moving pots and painting fences and sawing wood, life was just great.
Now I am back behind glass looking out wondering why my body cannot except the cold change like it used to or why I cannot do it still like others.

Am I eating the wrong foods.?
I cannot drink alcohol perhaps I should start up again a drop of scotch would not harm I am sure, but I do not think my gp would be pleased. Although I have not seen her for over a year due to this ruddy virus.
So please give an old soldier a few tips I am only 67 but feel like 97 some days.
Admitted the lungs are a problem but what else can I do.?
Do what I do. Forget DIY, instead go GSI*

*. GSI - Get Someone In.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2021, 04:24 PM

When I was a younger man I never was one for wearing to many clothes a shirt or t/shirt would be ample for my top half jeans or shorts would be bottom half and a pair of trainers no socks required.
But now I am older and it never seems like I have enough clothes on to keep me warm and boy are they an hinderance whilst trying to work and they never seem to warm my fingers and who needs a ruddy scarf dangling around ones neck and into the paint pot or the freshly whipped up bit of cement.

So I am asking just what is it that keeps you warm when out there battling with the elements whilst you are trying to do outdoor odd jobs. Especially these days when the weather is all over the place.

Only last week I said yes to myself the summer weather is on its way I was out in the back garden moving pots and painting fences and sawing wood, life was just great.
Now I am back behind glass looking out wondering why my body cannot except the cold change like it used to or why I cannot do it still like others.

Am I eating the wrong foods.?
I cannot drink alcohol perhaps I should start up again a drop of scotch would not harm I am sure, but I do not think my gp would be pleased. Although I have not seen her for over a year due to this ruddy virus.
So please give an old soldier a few tips I am only 67 but feel like 97 some days.
Admitted the lungs are a problem but what else can I do.?

Longfellow, as a youngster I felt the cold just as much as I do now, so no change for me there.

I gear myself up mentally I think, I must get it done otherwise it gets overwhelming....so I wrap up with a woolly jumper, scarf, over jacket....usually stay in the garden for around an hour, then venture in, warm up ,then out again for another hour....it’s my fingers that feel the cold the most.

That reminds me, I will be out again tonight picking up the remainder of the winter leaves....that’s when the temperature drops...I just like the quietness in the evening, when most people are tucked up in bed.
longfellow
Chatterbox
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2021, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
The original 'Michelin Man' by the sound of that then!

My choice of porridge for breakfast was to combat problems with high cholesterol but it is also reckoned to be good against the cold, ask anyone in Scotland and you probably know it's usually much colder there than 'down south'.
Baz meant to say earlier my heart goes out to any one with health problems.
Personally I have only had my heart problem lvd since 2011 the emphysema was a lot earlier 1999 but over the years I managed to keep myself body wise in good stock. But I think this last bit of sickness as kicked away what ever remained of my stubbornness. Now just feeling old and cold and looking for ways to get back again.
Porridge I have it most mornings with Chia seeds and a spoon of strawberry jam. Yes you are right about the Scots knowing that came from my sister up in Edinburgh.
I think her words were "If you don't start having it for breakfast, I will visit and ram it down yer gullet".
She as a lovely bedside manner..
longfellow
Chatterbox

03-04-2021, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Do what I do. Forget DIY, instead go GSI*

*. GSI - Get Someone In.

Make you so right Todger but who can I get to paint the front of the house and my back fences whilst doing some gardening at a decent rate.
The fact that most are on benefits these days means they are all well off.
I mean I get a £4 a week rise starting tomorrow on my pension for what.?
I do hope they are not expecting me to work any harder for that extra brass.
longfellow
Chatterbox

03-04-2021, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Longfellow, as a youngster I felt the cold just as much as I do now, so no change for me there.

I gear myself up mentally I think, I must get it done otherwise it gets overwhelming....so I wrap up with a woolly jumper, scarf, over jacket....usually stay in the garden for around an hour, then venture in, warm up ,then out again for another hour....it’s my fingers that feel the cold the most.

That reminds me, I will be out again tonight picking up the remainder of the winter leaves....that’s when the temperature drops...I just like the quietness in the evening, when most people are tucked up in bed.
Would love to be able to do the same Pauline .
In my youth yes I would but afraid these days/nights my lungs could not take the cold damp air of the evenings.
I will be with you in spirit though.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2021, 05:16 PM

Yes, I can testify to the warming porridge, LF. Have it with honey and berries for a real health boost. A few walnuts too if you can eat nuts - they are good for the brain. For dinner, a decent plate of mince and tatties will warm you up.
longfellow
Chatterbox

03-04-2021, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Yes, I can testify to the warming porridge, LF. Have it with honey and berries for a real health boost. A few walnuts too if you can eat nuts - they are good for the brain. For dinner, a decent plate of mince and tatties will warm you up.
Hi Pixie.
Maybe I can change occasionally to berries and walnuts sorry I cannot stomach honey.
The evening meal sounds very appetising perhaps a few carrots n peas alongside.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2021, 06:29 PM

Hi Pixie.
Maybe I can change occasionally to berries and walnuts sorry I cannot stomach honey.
The evening meal sounds very appetising perhaps a few carrots n peas alongside.
Oh yes, LF, get those veggies up - broccoli is nice too.

Pity about the honey, but no matter...a sweetener of your choice, but don't do salt....its vile!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top