Join for free
Page 4 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 10:00 AM

Re: Opining an opinion

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
We have many discussions on here. We naturally express our opinions. We sometimes even type IMO or even IMHO to reinforce the point that we're not stating a fundamental truth but are (humbly) expressing an opinion.

Is it useful or helpful for other posters to remind us that what we know is an opinion is, in fact, an opinion and that they are entitled to hold another opinion?

Or is it, as I believe, not only a waste of time but IMHO an insult to suggest that posters aren't aware of it?

In short, is a post stating eg "that's your opinion and differs from mine, and we're entitled to have different opinions" of any real value?

I get your point Dex, l think?
As a forum is designed to allow people to express that opinion
then there should be no need to reinforce what should be common
knowledge ?? IMO of course !

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Thanks Tabby and Spit. I agree with everyone here. It's an old chestnut but I guess it's old because it's true. That is if everybody agreed and had the same opinion, it would indeed be a very one dimensional forum. And world. The one thing that happens to me every now and then though - and no doubt happens to others; is that without the slightest intention of doing so I suddenly find I have upset somebody or they have taken what I said totally the wrong way. This has happened with a few people. I have made an effort to set straight/ correct and apologise etc. BUt only once has anybody responded. There is only one person here that I "fight" with. I make no apologies for that. We all have our limits. ..
Hi Keezoy! Your antipodean point of view is always welcome on the
forum and l always read your posts, keep it up matey !!
BTW, ( oops)! If l ever asked you to chill , it was only for health
reasons ! (your own!)

Donkeyman! 👍🤗👍
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I like links....and try not to use them too much, but they are handy to back up what I have posted, or say "this is where I got the information from", etc.
My use of links came after first joining OFF and noticing how many posters asked for the source of information on posts and derided those who did not give them. For me there's no argument by supplying them, plus of course they can be ignored by anyone who doesn't require them.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 10:19 AM

I am still trying to work out Spitty’s AISI?

Forums are for opinions, aren’t they? So, there's no need to reiterate it every time they post.
It’s up to the reader to form their own opinion of the opinion they have just read.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
As I See It?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->

Forums are for opinions, aren’t they? So, there's no need to reiterate it every time they post.
It’s up to the reader to form their own opinion of the opinion they have just read.
Perhaps and at a guess As I See It?

All these abbreviations must be a real nightmare for 'newbies'!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
As I See It?
Thank You, Barry.
I wish some people would state the proper words instead of using initials.

In my very, very humble, highly opinionated opinion, that would be good!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Hi Keezoy! Your antipodean point of view is always welcome on the
forum and l always read your posts, keep it up matey !!
BTW, ( oops)! If l ever asked you to chill , it was only for health
reasons ! (your own!)

Donkeyman! 👍🤗👍
Hey thanks DM!..THat's a jolly nice thing to say. I'm chillin' OK at the moment.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

05-04-2021, 11:08 AM

I once carried out an experiment in which l attempted to put
together a complete paragraph using only acronyms !!
The experiment failed as l kept falling asleep ??

Donkeyman! 👎🤔🤔👎
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 11:15 AM

Aren't many of these abbreviations born out of the use of mobile phones to communicate?

Saves having to bash your finger nails against microscopic keys and helps to cut down all of speeellling errors which result.

IMHO u can tell who are the heavy mobile users versus those who had to write it all down for a dissertation, a thesis, or letter.

Just a thought (another useless phrase?).

HAND, SWALK, Missing u already....!

Page 4 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top