Join for free
Page 5 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 11:18 AM

Re: Opining an opinion

What does HAND and SWALK mean, Ted? Also - I did think that LOL meant Lots of Love for quite a while, until my daughter put me right
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 11:22 AM

Sealed with a loving kiss
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 11:24 AM

Oh like on Valentines cards as a kid - of course! Well I do end a lot of my texts with an x, but that's a female thing I think.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
What does HAND and SWALK mean, Ted? Also - I did think that LOL meant Lots of Love for quite a while, until my daughter put me right
I had to look that one up! Take your pick from those on the link below
but I reckon it's probably the first one:

https://www.abbreviations.com/HAND
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

05-04-2021, 11:34 AM

Wow Baz...ok, then it depends on the context of the message. Most common one would be Have a Nice Day. I think I would type that out rather than do the abbreviations though.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Thank You, Barry.
I wish some people would state the proper words instead of using initials.

In my very, very humble, highly opinionated opinion, that would be good!
Thanks Arty, my post of the day.....
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 11:58 AM

Wow Baz...ok, then it depends on the context of the message. Most common one would be Have a Nice Day. I think I would type that out rather than do the abbreviations though.
Yes, it is the first one in that list used in 'internet / chat', as indicated. From my time in printing and publishing the usual accepted way to use abbreviations is with the initial use of the relevant phrase put in full followed by the abbreviation in brackets – have a nice day (HAND) – like everything else that has now gone when it comes to texts, e-mails and anything internet connected. The world has just moved on far too fast nowadays for correct usage.

Don't even get me started on 'spell checkers' and the ubiquitous apostrophe or I will be posting here all day long!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks Arty, my post of the day.....

Thanks! Foxy Loxy xx
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 12:01 PM

Pixie, you must be a teenybopper, compared with some of us!

Oddly, one of my gifts, from WBW (way back when), was serving as a Radio Man on a Cunard Ship.

Passengers loved to send messages home, and I would be pricing, sending & receiving these, in Morse, from out there on the Atlantic.

Messages were charged based on the number of actual alphabetic letters included (e.g. "miss you" cost seven, whilst "see you soon", cost 30 percent more).

AIUI (as I understand it) the telegraph systems, in the USA, had been similarly priced up.

Anyway, to cut a boring story short, you might spot that some telegraph senders would abbreviate, as we've seen.

Rumour has it that lots of naughty pennies might be made that way.

I used to wonder if those receiving the messages understood what they were saying!

In any case (upper or lower) abbreviations became standard fare!

I heard that some, on the big ships, were prosecuted, back in, the late 1960s.

Anyway, boring mode over, it's snowing outside, I'll go and watch that!

Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

05-04-2021, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Pixie, you must be a teenybopper, compared with some of us!
Oh a lady never tells, Ted...but I'm over 50 and less than 55

Page 5 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top