Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 04:19 PM

Re: She’s back – Greta Thunberg!

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I don't make fun of Greta because she is dangerous....
She doesn't care about you or me and all the thousands of people who could possibly lose their jobs and livelyhoods, because of her tantrums and pressure upon governments to pay homage to the green way of thinking.

She is on the Autism spectrum, and these people have an uncanny ability to remember things in great detail, that is why she was chosen (as well as being a child) they can remember great amounts of things and then regurgitate it later, they don't have a clue about what it means. She lives in a fairytale world where the economic and social issues do not exist.

They must have searched high and low for such a candidate to memorise the rhetoric and act it out on the world stage. There is something quite unnerving and unnatural about someone so young talking about things she would have no knowledge of, like a 60 year old brain inside the head of a child, or possibly even an android with no facial expression except one of anger.

I agree with an earlier comment about her saying things we don't want to hear. That's because I can see the consequences of her rantings, because the things she proposes are insane, and great amounts of time and money will be wasted on trying to prevent the inevitable.
But it need not be inevitable if people / governments / businesses TAKE ACTION AND INCREDIBLY SOON.

We've done our bit as a couple. It's cost a few quid but it's reduced our outlay in energy costs big time. I was initially amazed at the saving made by swapping out incandescent light bulbs. Much greater than I had expected and even more so when we replaced light switches with ones. that included motion detectors. Then insulation and upgrading to tripple glazing. Again cost a few quid but the old double glazing was about thirty years old and nowhere near as effective as new tripple glazed units.

Dry lining on external walls, upgraded roof insulation resulted in another marked reduction in energy bill and when we installed the five heat pumps along with floor insulation - that REALLY hit the spot.

Our energy costs are now around a quarter of less of what they had been - and cold we certainly are not.

Shame about my car though, but my wife's gone electric and I have to admit it's pretty good.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
But it need not be inevitable if people / governments / businesses TAKE ACTION AND INCREDIBLY SOON.

We've done our bit as a couple. It's cost a few quid but it's reduced our outlay in energy costs big time. I was initially amazed at the saving made by swapping out incandescent light bulbs. Much greater than I had expected and even more so when we replaced light switches with ones. that included motion detectors. Then insulation and upgrading to tripple glazing. Again cost a few quid but the old double glazing was about thirty years old and nowhere near as effective as new tripple glazed units.

Dry lining on external walls, upgraded roof insulation resulted in another marked reduction in energy bill and when we installed the five heat pumps along with floor insulation - that REALLY hit the spot.

Our energy costs are now around a quarter of less of what they had been - and cold we certainly are not.

Shame about my car though, but my wife's gone electric and I have to admit it's pretty good.
Wow you have done lots
The only thing I haven't matched you on is the triple glazing and the electric/hybrid car.
They are soooooo expensive atm. I'm sure they'll become cheaper before too long though
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Wow you have done lots
The only thing I haven't matched you on is the triple glazing and the electric/hybrid car.
They are soooooo expensive atm. I'm sure they'll become cheaper before too long though
Our place is hundreds of years old, formally a row of three farm cottages but knocked into one before we bought them/it. Thick stone walls which is a bit unusual round here, and if anyone tells you that means cool in summer and warm in winter - don't believe 'em!

After thirty years it's now pretty much sorted.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 08:14 PM

Our place is hundreds of years old, formally a row of three farm cottages but knocked into one before we bought them/it. Thick stone walls which is a bit unusual round here, and if anyone tells you that means cool in summer and warm in winter - don't believe 'em!

After thirty years it's now pretty much sorted.
You obviously live in the country Todgy, so heat pumps are viable?
But in town or cities l believe once they become prevalent then
the efficiency goes down as they cool down the soil in the the whole
area?
And l suppose eventually cool down the local areas atmosphere
too ??
Obviously if you run them in reverse the opposite effect is observed !

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

06-04-2021, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
You obviously live in the country Todgy, so heat pumps are viable?
But in town or cities l believe once they become prevalent then
the efficiency goes down as they cool down the soil in the the whole
area?
And l suppose eventually cool down the local areas atmosphere
too ??
Obviously if you run them in reverse the opposite effect is observed !

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
In the warmer weather one does run them in reverse at which point they become the same as air con's. They're very common in a number of countries and when incorporated into flats and condo's as retrofits often take the form of "Window Rattlers" so it's a low cost installation and running.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 08:56 PM

Excellent Todger, and I myself are doing my bit, not to save the planet though, because I hate waste.....However, people on the poverty line in this world outnumber you and me by 10 million to one......at least. The last thing on their minds is saving the planet.
Have you seen the damage being caused to the planet by the recovery of Lithium? We have replaced fossil fuels with other materials. We might get sustainable energy from solar panels and wind turbines, but where do all the materials come from to construct these, not to mention the energy needed in manufacture. Oil is still needed for lubrication, and remember! Most of this stuff only lasts a maximum of 25 years at the most. There is no such thing as a free meal!
House supply is not sufficient to charge Electric Vehicles and will need to be upgraded. Where will all of this extra power come from when we are struggling to maintain supplies at peak times now?

Have you ever realised why they want you to instal smart meters? More control over using your vehicle. When and where you will be able to use it. Remember the three day week? Power will be withheld or limited in times of shortages, it may not be possible to charge your vehicle overnight in some cases. The government are investing massively in public transport and would prefer you to use that. With gentle persuasion (limit your electricity supply) if necessary.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

06-04-2021, 09:14 PM

Excellent Todger, and I myself are doing my bit, not to save the planet though, because I hate waste.....However, people on the poverty line in this world outnumber you and me by 10 million to one......at least. The last thing on their minds is saving the planet.
Have you seen the damage being caused to the planet by the recovery of Lithium? We have replaced fossil fuels with other materials. We might get sustainable energy from solar panels and wind turbines, but where do all the materials come from to construct these, not to mention the energy needed in manufacture. Oil is still needed for lubrication, and remember! Most of this stuff only lasts a maximum of 25 years at the most. There is no such thing as a free meal!
House supply is not sufficient to charge Electric Vehicles and will need to be upgraded. Where will all of this extra power come from when we are struggling to maintain supplies at peak times now?

Have you ever realised why they want you to instal smart meters? More control over using your vehicle. When and where you will be able to use it. Remember the three day week? Power will be withheld or limited in times of shortages, it may not be possible to charge your vehicle overnight in some cases. The government are investing massively in public transport and would prefer you to use that. With gentle persuasion (limit your electricity supply) if necessary.
Part of the path back will have to be a rethink about use of vehicles. It is simply unaffordable to continue as we have been doing for the last 125 years.

As for rare earths - extraction can be a mess but does not result in the environmental pollution that releasing fossil fuel captured carbon does.

Then there's rationing. Rationing of energy together with other things across the board must also be taken on board.

We're entering the world of the post industrial age. We have to adapt to it. TINA.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 09:31 PM

Part of the path back will have to be a rethink about use of vehicles. It is simply unaffordable to continue as we have been doing for the last 125 years.

As for rare earths - extraction codename a mess but does not result in the environmental pollution that releasing fossil fuel captured carbon does. Then there's rationing. Rationing of energy together with other things across the board must also be taken on board.

We're entering the world of the post industrial age. We have to adapt to it. TINA.
I totally agree with you Todger, but it's got nothing to do with altering climate or trying to reverse the so called damage to the planet. The planet will take care of itself and it has ways of restricting the population and putting itself right, but we are making it very uncomfortable for the human race with our energy needs and feeds. Perhaps this is the planets way of culling humans.

I don't have the answer, and neither does Greta...People like her and David Attenborough are good at pointing out the problems but fail to provide any solutions other than removing ourselves from this planet...
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

06-04-2021, 09:44 PM

I totally agree with you Todger, but it's got nothing to do with altering climate or trying to reverse the so called damage to the planet. The planet will take care of itself and it has ways of restricting the population and putting itself right, but we are making it very uncomfortable for the human race with our energy needs and feeds. Perhaps this is the planets way of culling humans.

I don't have the answer, and neither does Greta...People like her and David Attenborough are good at pointing out the problems but fail to provide any solutions other than removing ourselves from this planet...
The planet CANT take care of itself because the mechanism whereby climatic cycles is broken by the activities of mankind. Creation and release exotic gasses such as Freon was, poisoning of the seas so damaging the carbon/oxygen photosynthesis mechanism, overfishing so seriously distorting the photosynthesis mechanism even further, the solution to reduce the damage we are creating is to seriously change how we live. TINA.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

06-04-2021, 09:58 PM

The planet CANT take care of itself because the mechanism whereby climatic cycles is broken by the activities of mankind. Creation and release exotic gasses such as Freon was, poisoning of the seas so damaging the carbon/oxygen photosynthesis mechanism, overfishing so seriously distorting the photosynthesis mechanism even further, the solution to reduce the damage we are creating is to seriously change how we live. TINA.
Nonsense Todger....
You have no concept just how big the Earth actually is and anything humans have done is superficial and will be reversed once we have regressed.
We are more likely to upset nature with our interference, but even then, it will only be us humans that suffer. If the testing of over two thousand atomic bombs couldn't make a scratch on the planet, I don't think a bit of pollution will.
You vastly underestimate natural forces.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top