Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 09:57 AM

Out Of Date Products Plus a collector of Half used items.

Do you have many/ any in your store cupboards?

Do you forget what you have in them?

Or are you extremely organised and know what you have in them?

Half used items, as in a little left in package/ jar/ bottle.

I’ve just found 2 sprouting baking potatoes,...will peel and make triple fried chips with them, nothing gets wasted in my house.....I’ve used up all the small amounts of coffee/ hot chocolate, so ready to refresh.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 10:04 AM

Re: Out Of Date Products Plus a collector of Half used items.

We sometimes find one, but date-checking is part of the normal routine of the Memsaab when compiling her shopping list. Even if only a day past the bbf date then it's disposed of. Modern packaging methods are very different than even only a few years ago. It's just not worth the risk.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 10:04 AM

I'm one of these OCD people who rotate their items according to the date, so the fresher things are always at the back ready to be brought forward. Sometimes there are half packets or jars, left over and they are dated when opened. All my cooked items for the freezer are dated too. Mr P has an awful habit of opening something (or buying new) when there is already one on the go....like butter, bread, or pasta sauce. Drives me nuts!
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 10:15 AM

I have no problem with food items past their best before date. It's best before, meaning the taste/texture etc may not be quite as good 2 or 3 days later. Or in some cases, depending on the item, many days or even weeks later. For instance, I take no notice whatever of a BBF date on a jar of pickles or jam - they're preserves, for heaven's sake! And I would imagine probably half of my dried herbs and spices are past their BBF date - they're all kept in a dark place to preserve as much flavour as possible and they last way longer than advised.

It's the Use by dates you have to take more notice of. But even then I will use them a day after, which I have on many occasions with no ill effects whatever.

In my childhood years, Best Before and Use By dates hadn't been invented - people used their noses, and their common sense. We came to no harm
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 10:18 AM

I have none of those, I clean and check my cupboards once a month.
Most things are best used as fresh as possible, I note some people use very old spices.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 11:44 AM

With fresh foods, l don’t fret too much about the sell-by date. If it smells ok l will use it.
Yet there are other times when l find a tin of something that is well out of date. I tell myself, it’s not worth taking the chance and l dump it!

In a supermarket, l am the one scratting about at the back of shelves, looking for the best before dates!!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 11:52 AM

now I feel guilty, I really must clean out my kitchen cupboards, heck yeah I'm ashamed to say
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
In a supermarket, l am the one scratting about at the back of shelves, looking for the best before dates!!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who does that.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 11:57 AM

In my cupboards I expect their are some things past their sell by date .
It’s not something I worry about .
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 12:12 PM

Okay I know the reason why but it did tickle me when I first noticed a "use by" date on a bottle of Buxton water. I mean water's been kicking around for 4.3 BILLION years and I'm being told to consume it by within a year? What's that all about?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top