Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2021, 09:46 PM

Re: confrontation

I tend to back down you are wasting you time argueing
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2021, 10:57 PM

I have no problem with confrontation if I feel it is necessary. Invariably it only happens when I feel I'm being bullied in some way or if somebody else is. I don't buy the "Oh I'm entitled to my opinion!" when what is really happening is that is a dressed up way of saying.."I am entitled to rubbish you/ your race/ religion or country i any way I like...no respect included" Long story short when there is no respect..there is a high likelihood of confrontation. I don't enjoy it or look for it. BUt I don't avoid it either. I don't expect to always be deferred to just because I am ME! neither do I expect to always be agreed with. I am talking about common garden variety manners.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2021, 03:56 AM

Hi

An Enforcement Officer for most of my life, confrontation was part of everyday life.

Work confrontation is very different to personal confrontation.

At work I was paid to take it and had the full backing of the law, being polite was part of the job, you always got them in the end if you did not break any rules.

I never backed down, ever, but was always polite.

I am very different in my personal life, a live and let live type, not much annoys me.

If I do get annoyed I can be quite sharp and respond immediately and bluntly.

I do not take bullies and threats well and I am not having my life ruined by pillocks .

I can respond to violence quite effectively, but am never the first to offer it.

If you threaten my kids I will turn into your worst nightmare.

I am not to everyone's taste, but I am happy with my view of things.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2021, 05:51 AM

Oh boy. I’m confrontational! If I avoid serious topics I’m fine but once I get in a serious topic I turn into a bully. It’s definitely change worthy behaviour. In my real life I avoid confrontation. In fact I practically avoid everyone.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2021, 06:38 AM

I like the way folks speak of being of one mind all their lives, must be unique in admitting to having been most things good and bad to arrive at a point of view. Confrontational, yes once upon a time, now, probably not, but that would be because of me, not you.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2021, 07:48 AM

I can't imagine anyone being mean to you LQ.....tell me who it is and I will go trip em up for you

Its weird how some people (women in particular) feel the need to be mean to others....in your case I would think its jealousy....you are a lovely person who after significant tragedy and personal trauma have got your life back on track and you have managed not to become bitter and kept your beautiful outlook on life. Dont let this woman bother you....whatever her problem is let it wash over you its her problem not yours
reg
Manchester
reg is male  reg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2021, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I am not confrontational at all, but once I came across a man who was beating a dog. That did not go well for him (just ask the judge), but it did for the dog who found a new home.
Judge Judy?

I'll fight my corner, I'm more stubborn than confrontational.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2021, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I can't imagine anyone being mean to you LQ.....tell me who it is and I will go trip em up for you

Its weird how some people (women in particular) feel the need to be mean to others....in your case I would think its jealousy....you are a lovely person who after significant tragedy and personal trauma have got your life back on track and you have managed not to become bitter and kept your beautiful outlook on life. Dont let this woman bother you....whatever her problem is let it wash over you its her problem not yours
Oh summer this is a lovely post. Thank you so much. I'll tell you about it when we meet up, shouldn't be long now eh xxxx

Thanks to all who commented. Susan, your comment sounds like you and I are very similar in how we are, I wish I was stronger too, but, we are who we are. (hugs) xxx
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2021, 10:31 AM

I think that people do raise the ante when they are losing a discussion.

You can see the escalation, after normal words fail, and the voice gets louder, the face gets redder, they start to look more aggressive.

Trouble is, if you don't stand up to them, they will use the technique again, and again, because they feel it worked.

The only thing which can stop this is "I disagree, but I'll leave it right there!

Going to what Swim hinted at, in his post, is the way Police handle this.

I have a pair (of Police Officers), in the family, and they are very good at standing, face to face, whilst arguing in a very calm voice, whilst some screeching perp waxes lyrical..

Confrontation, on a Forum, is different, as the only tools these perps have is Capital letters, Bold Print, and name calling ("Idiots, You're stupid, etc").

Best way, to deal with that, is the Ignore button.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2021, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I think that people do raise the ante when they are losing a discussion.

You can see the escalation, after normal words fail, and the voice gets louder, the face gets redder, they start to look more aggressive.

Trouble is, if you don't stand up to them, they will use the technique again, and again, because they feel it worked.

The only thing which can stop this is "I disagree, but I'll leave it right there!

Going to what Swim hinted at, in his post, is the way Police handle this.

I have a pair (of Police Officers), in the family, and they are very good at standing, face to face, whilst arguing in a very calm voice, whilst some screeching perp waxes lyrical..

Confrontation, on a Forum, is different, as the only tools these perps have is Capital letters, Bold Print, and name calling ("Idiots, You're stupid, etc").

Best way, to deal with that, is the Ignore button.
The trouble with the ignore button is that you have to keep taking them off 'ignore' to read what they posted this time.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top