Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2018, 08:33 AM

Re: Designer Dogs

I remember a time when research showed that mongrels were far less likely to be aggressive. They believed that it was because pedigree breeders were often more concerned about how the dog looked, so too much interbreeding took place.

It is a sad fact that lots of people breed dogs to make money, but some have no knowledge of how this can affect the dogs temperament.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2018, 09:52 AM

That was certainly true of the OES Breed, when I was wee and my parents had them the dogs were big, heavy and had that square look. These days they are a different shape altogether also they strived for what was called White Caps, meaning all white head and the Blue/Silver body. They ones with the dark patch on the eye or a dark ear were no longer favoured, if you had one with these markings then don't even bother entering into a Show Ring as you'd get nowhere.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2018, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I love dogs. Obviously could not have one while I was working - it would have been cruel as, apart from toileting needs, dogs are social creatures so to leave one on it's own for so long would have been irresponsible. I had thought that when I retired I might have one - certainly not a designer one - but perhaps a rescue dog - but I found that I was still out a lot - and mostly places where dogs would not be welcome. Shopping - most shops are not dog friendly. Visiting friends - no way would I take a dog into someone else's house unless I had permission beforehand. Going out for the day - not having a car I rely on buses/trains - not all dogs are happy to travel and I would not leave one all day. I enjoy spending time with my Westie friend and her owner knows I would gladly give her a home if the need ever arose - but I would have to change my lifestyle to accommodate her. Dogs are more needy of human intervention than cats are.

It is a huge responsibility to take a dog, or any other animal, into your home - it is also a life changing commitment. You can no longer just take off on an impulse and come back when you feel like it. Having pets is more restrictive than having children - but they are worth it!
I totally agree.
I did two things in preparation for retirement. Got a camera and a dog. Both get be out and walking.
Restrictive ? Not greatly so in our case. The dog goes almost everywhere with us. Travels well, stays in hotels, the local convenience store - he waits outside - he even goes to the barber with me. Hospital visits are about the only time he has to stay home but we have a lovely neighbour who dog sits for us.

This is him having a paddle in a nature reserve:

deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2018, 09:20 PM

When we got our lovely dog from Dogs Trust,[ brought over from Ireland] he was still in a mess a very skinny Lurcher/Saluki,terrified of people / sounds, scars ,sores on tummy ,legs & feet, believed he had been laying in his own urine,But we were given some lotion to bathe him with & the sores cleared.He is now a happy contented dog,slightly over weight,loves to play with his many toys & is no longer afraid of people. Id love to know what his background is ,but no one knows, this was not just he was slightly neglected ,he had been sysematically ill treated
BoxerBoy
West Sussex UK
BoxerBoy is male  BoxerBoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2018, 08:46 PM

Given that all pedigree dogs are the result of selective breeding controlled by people, I find it strange that some of us condemn the practise so strongly. Without it we would not have the wonderful breeds that we enjoy so much. Having said that there is much room for improvement.
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2018, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
Thought that was an English Bull Terrier but I could be wrong....

But whatever, Staffies are very strong and powerful dogs whatever their temperament and I'm not confident with that type of dog at my age.

Nicole, my Gracie is an English bull terrier...and they're an awesome breed...

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	17197804_10154246116687611_633591824_n.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	7285  
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2018, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Beautiful Filly ->
Nicole, my Gracie is an English bull terrier...and they're an awesome breed...
I can vouch for that, I slept with her for a week.
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2018, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
I can vouch for that, I slept with her for a week.
You certainly did...Blue.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top