Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 03:38 PM

Re: Recent bus crash

According to our local news this man is 79 and a former Mayor of Leamington Spa. On the local Midlands news last night it showed him going into court - an old man with a walking stick. Apparently he has worked for Stagecoach for over forty years. I feel at his age that he most certainly should not be driving a bus.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
According to our local news this man is 79 and a former Mayor of Leamington Spa. On the local Midlands news last night it showed him going into court - an old man with a walking stick. Apparently he has worked for Stagecoach for over forty years. I feel at his age that he most certainly should not be driving a bus.
The picture from my previous link confirms what you say:

Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 09:24 PM

I have been on a bus in the past that he was driving. He is a gentle, quiet man.
I'm surprised at his age as he looked much younger.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 09:30 PM

Did he know how to "Conduct" himself?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Did he know how to "Conduct" himself?
Just the ticket!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 10:03 PM

Will there will ever be driverless buses I wonder?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 10:05 PM

Maybe, but with 80 year old Data.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

08-09-2017, 10:06 PM

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2017, 10:36 PM

http://www.over50sforum.com/newreply...treply&t=26776

Midland Red (South) Ltd admitted failing to ensure the safety of employees and failing to make sure the public was not exposed to risk.

It also admitted it did not prevent or control risks of driver error "due to lack of capability and/or fatigue and/or working hours, which were excessive in the circumstances".

The charges were brought against the bus operator, under the Health and Safety at Work Act, following an inquiry into the deaths.
So, the driver was (probably) working overtime, but I don't think "fatigue" will absolve him of responsibility for the crash and consequent deaths and injuries .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

12-09-2018, 03:25 AM

Coventry bus crash: Driver 'had warning' before crash

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-45486219

A 77-year-old bus driver had been warned about his deteriorating standard of driving before he crashed into a supermarket and killed two people, a court has heard.

Mr Chander, from Leamington, is unfit to plead or stand trial. He has been excused from attending a "finding-of-facts" trial at Birmingham Crown Court .

The jury heard that despite being told not to drive when he was tired Mr Chander had worked three consecutive 75-hour weeks prior to the crash.

Opening the case against him, prosecution QC Andrew Thomas said Mr Chander had been charged with two counts of causing death by dangerous driving and two of causing serious injury.

Explaining the facts alleged against Mr Chander, Mr Thomas told the court: "This appears to be the case of a driver who put his foot down on the accelerator instead of pressing the brake.

"And instead of realising his mistake, he kept his foot down on the accelerator throughout the journey. The prosecution say that by any objective standard it is shockingly bad driving."

Mr Thomas added Mr Chander did not apply the brakes until "some seconds" after the bus had crashed into the supermarket and come to a halt.

The prosecutor told the jury Mr Chander will not give evidence during the trial and they will be asked to consider whether or not the facts alleged have been proved.
Three consecutive 75-hour weeks .....

I used to do that myself when young but for an elderly man .....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top